What happens when an anemone outgrows its tank?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I am thinking of setting up an anemone tank. I might use a 10 gal I have or a cookie jar or maybe a wine bottle on its side. I understand the need for sump, skimmer & flow, I want to know what will happen when the anemone outgrows the tank? Will it be sad, die, or just stop growing? Can I frag it when it gets too big? the only tankmates it may have (depending on the tank) are sexy shrimp and/or probably some asterina starfish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Unless u are planing on keeping apitasia anemone a ten is too small. No you can't frag anemones there not corals. (Apitasia are pest anemones you can't buy them)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I know its too small, but what will happen when my anemone outgrows its space? There won't be any coral for it to destroy. Why can't it b in tank too small for it?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Why can't it b in tank too small for it?
If you are remotely serious how about you ask yourself why you want to keep an animal in a tank that is too small for it.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Because there not stationary they do move.
Thanks, Reefman, that's what I wanted to know.
ask yourself why you want to keep an animal in a tank that is too small for it.
Krichardson, I'm not evil, it just didn't occur to me that it would want to move. I thought they were more or less entirely stationary and the only problem with them outgrowing the tank is that they will kill everything else.
I guess I'll either keep an lps with long sweepers that looks like an anemone, or I'll wait until summer and try to get a local (NY/CT) intertidal or shallow subtidal anemone. These guys are great: small, and don't need a heater or chiller. I'll just have to find out about legal stuff.
Do aptasia do anything evil besides kill their tankmates?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Krichardson, I'm not evil, it just didn't occur to me that it would want to move. I thought they were more or less entirely stationary and the only problem with them outgrowing the tank is that they will kill everything else.
I guess I'll either keep an lps with long sweepers that looks like an anemone, or I'll wait until summer and try to get a local (NY/CT) intertidal or shallow subtidal anemone. These guys are great: small, and don't need a heater or chiller. I'll just have to find out about legal stuff.
Do aptasia do anything evil besides kill their tankmates?
Well that's good but I did not think that you were evil but uninformed rather.Even if anemone did not move they still gain size and could eventually crowd a small tank.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
The point is to crowd a small tank with a lot of brightly colored tentacles

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You can frag an anemone. What happens to the anemone in a tank varies from tank to tank and anemone to anemone. It might split, stop growing at a manageable size or grow until it takes up the whole tank. For a 10 gallon I would get a bubble tip. Mini max are cool looking too. For a wine bottle or jar I would do aptasia.

Reactions: J. H.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
Keep in mind that anemone needs similar if not the same conditions corals need to thrive...proper lighting, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, ph, temp.

The other common mistake people make when first keeping an anemone is feeding it meaty foods everyday or every other day. This is bad for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store