What I learned today...

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
One, amatitlania nanolutea eat snails
Two, girardinus metallicus can die of fright
Three, amatitlania nanolutea can show some sort of emotion?
I saw my female nanolutea rip a ramshorn out of its shell, then I saw the pile of ramshorn shells she had in front of her cave
I turned my tank light off for the night, girardinus start freaking out, so I turn it back on thinking they're gonna jump and one is just dead on the floor of the tank
MVIMG_20200711_005346.jpg
Female nanolutea goes up to it, looks at it for a bit,
MVIMG_20200711_005544.jpg
Looks at me,
MVIMG_20200711_005551.jpg
then goes up to her mate, they both come back and look at the dead girardinus, male nano picks it up, moves it away from their cave and covers it with a leaf
They both stare at the leaf for a bit and proceed with their business
Makes you think...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That is pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

There was a well known "fact" going around for years and years regarding goldfish and their memory span being no more than a measly 3 seconds or something daft. After research that thinking has changed dramatically now. And of course it dosen't just apply to goldfish. And then there's that old nugget about whether fish feel pain when anglers hook them.

They might only be fish, with little rudimentary brains but who knows what cerebral capabilities fish actually have.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I feel the same way about most people I meet.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

WalksWIthGobies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
ames,iowa
Yeah I've seen supposedly stupid fish engage in some fairly forebrain heavy behaviors on occassion. My tortoise, on the other hand. well he's just plain stupid bless his heart.

• Haha

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
As humans we have one of the largest and most complicated brains on the planet but we only use 10% of it. So what if a fish has one of the smallest most simple brains and it uses all of it? Just a thought that is always rolling around in my 10%.

WalksWIthGobies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
ames,iowa
As humans we have one of the largest and most complicated brains on the planet but we only use 10% of it. So what if a fish has one of the smallest most simple brains and it uses all of it? Just a thought that is always rolling around in my 10%.
That's actually not true, we use all of it, higher functions being spread throughout the brain's lobes. The so called "lower brain" which controls anatomical functions and processes is more the 10%. Sorry, I can't help myself when people repeat this old wives tale.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That's actually not true, we use all of it, higher functions being spread throughout the brain's lobes. The so called "lower brain" which controls anatomical functions and processes is more the 10%. Sorry, I can't help myself when people repeat this old wives tale.
Well that's no fun! I'm going to take my more then 10% using brain function and go to bed now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store