What is a Kok?

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
I thought this site was PG-13 :nilly:

I'm probably just poorly mistaken, but may I have an explanation Please?

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
a kok is the nuchal hump in cichlids
its not what you think it is

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
It is the big fatty hump on fish's head.. find them on mature red devils, flower horns, frontosa etc.. it is mostly made up of fatty deposits.. and more prominant on male fish...i would show you a pic except while MFK is upgrading to the next level.. the attachments are not working unless you use a different program.. but you can see the pics if you look at the cichlids...

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
Kok is a primarily FH related word which im sure stems from malaysia or thailand, whereas nuchal hump is the preffered scientific term for a lump on the head of cichlids mostly males to indicate dominance, potency and of course to get a mate. some species naturally have larger nuchal humps then others, but because flowerhons have been specifically bred to show these characteristics favourable in asian countrys the term "Kok" has been applied.

on some cichlids the nuchal hump it is slight

here is a Midas with a pronounced one

And here is a Flowerhorn with an oversized KOK. this would be virtually impossible in a wild Midas or red devil
because it is a trait that is specificaly bred into these fish.

some flowerhorns like this Kamfamalau take on the look of a fully mature large american cichlid at small sizes.
this is obviously the prefered trend when breeding these fish.

hope that helps :)

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
Lupin;3284152; said:
See sticky threads.
KOK/nuchal hump:
Oh, TYVM.
I'm not gonna make any dumb puns here, I just was kinda shocked.

Tina19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Toronto
Yes i believe it is pronounced "Coke" but it's too fun to pronounce it "KOK".. lol

it's funny when you call a fish store and ask if their flowerhorns have big KOKs...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store