what is a Red Texas Cichlid?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
ok so i might have a shot at getting a beautifull red texas cichlid from a friend, and i want to know...what is a red texas? his is about 3.5 inches long and looks really cool. thnx

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Red Texas Cichlid.

The red Texas cichlid is a hybrid and is not present in the wild. It is believed to be a cross between a Flowerhorn cichlid and a Texas cichlid.

Red Texas Cichlid Price

The prices of red Texas cichlid differs greatly and can be everything from 10$ to 1000$+. There are two main reasons for the large price span. The first and less important one is that these fish still are quite rare and the store therefore can charge they price they want for them. The other more important reason is that the quality of fish in different price ranges. Only very few fish grows to very red show specimens while most specimens turn out to be of much lower quality. High quality specimens are very rare and as such expensive. Buying red Texas cichlids as fry are somewhat of a gamble since only a very low number of them will grow out to be really red. Most fish will never develop the red or will have a large number of black spots on their body making them more black than red.
Red Texas Cichlid Setup and Care.

Red Texas cichlids are considerable more aggressive than other Texas cichlids and should be thought about as flowerhorns rather than as Texas cichlids. They should only be kept with other large robust and aggressive fish. They require a large aquarium if you are going to be able to house them with other cichlids and are otherwise best kept alone.
The red Texas cichlid is easy to care for and will accept most types of food. They produce large amounts of waste which means that large frequent water changes and good filtration is a most.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
ok thanks, i will have pick him next time i am over his way. he is charging 30$ so i geuss that is not too bad...thnx

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
$30 is not unreasonable for a young RT . . . you really won't know how good he'll be until he gets older, but if you like what you see now, that's a good sing

they can get large . . . don't be surprised if it grows to 10" or more . . .

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
keep in mind that 99% of the time by 6 inches, they arent community fish at all. I have never had one that wasnt a complete jerk and prepared to annihilate everyone in a 90 and a 125.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
will it go with some super aggresive jack dempseys and some pictus catfish? the tank will also have some other fish in it but they should be ok.

Natalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Florida
I had a male Red Texas in a 90g by himself. Beautiful, great personality, but a complete terror. He always attacked the glass trying to get me, and I couldn't put a single fish with him. No cichlids, no females, no plecos. I would plan on yours having similar aggression (almost as bad as a Midas/RD). I think your cat and JDs would be in big trouble if you tried to house them together.

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
Experiment397;4325050; said:
will it go with some super aggresive jack dempseys and some pictus catfish? the tank will also have some other fish in it but they should be ok.
I've got a small one in with some Convicts, Cutteri, a Red Dragon Flowerhorn and a blue Texas and right now, it's the least aggressive fish in the tank. Once it gets a couple inches bigger, that will change. Just keep an eye on it and how it interacts with your other fish. The first sign of issues, you'll probably have to divide it. If you luck out and get a nice one, they can be worth a lot more than what you paid for it as it gets bigger. Any hybrid fish like that, is typically highly aggressive and usually end up as a lone fish in a tank. So be prepared for that. They're worth it though, beautiful specimen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store