What is better MH lights or LED

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Should I just stay with MH are they truly the best lighting for a reef tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Just shop around and find out yourself you can do the lighting for about 1/3rd of what some people seem to believe.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
MH are always "good" but there are LED that are good as well. The risk is there are alot of LED systems that DON'T produce the light needed, and almost NO LED systems are good for deeper tanks as they loose intencity quickly with depth unless they have very tight focusing optics, which means you need substancially more fixtures to get the coverage needed over most tanks.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Just shop around and find out yourself you can do the lighting for about 1/3rd of what some people seem to believe.
I did shop around infact, for my 210 - like kevin8888 is saying you need really expensive LED quality bullets to get PAR to the lower mid to bottom range of the tank. The ones I found that do get there in a 2' deep tank cost $1,500 each and I would've needed 2x. I can't do MH or I would have - the 210 has a 3/4 inch glass top support rail the MH's might crack it.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I did shop around infact, for my 210 - like kevin8888 is saying you need really expensive LED quality bullets to get PAR to the lower mid to bottom range of the tank. The ones I found that do get there in a 2' deep tank cost $1,500 each and I would've needed 2x. I can't do MH or I would have - the 210 has a 3/4 inch glass top support rail the MH's might crack it.
I don't know your general setup/location, but have you considered a MH pendant? you could just mount a wall bracket to hang it from if you dont want cables all the way up to the ceiling.

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Pendants run $550 for 50 watts he has a 165 gal tank ................... do the math before you open your mouth.
3,000 Seems like a bit much... Possibly 1,000 or so, but not 3,000.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I don't know your general setup/location, but have you considered a MH pendant? you could just mount a wall bracket to hang it from if you dont want cables all the way up to the ceiling.
I actually found a T5HO+MH pendant combo - best of both worlds - high wattage and premium reflection of MH + customizable spectrum coloration of the T5HO bulb. Aquatic life makes it, was told will probably need a chiller for this one as well. Cost was close to $2,000 + $500 for the chiller. Decided to go a different route - borrow a buddies 400w MH on a 75 gal fishless and test the lux loss every 6" deep and wide. Add or reduce as needed. Local reef club has an Apogee with a custom depth wand.
Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it for the 210.

As to not hijack - IMO and from what I've witnessed, MH's deliver the best intensity of light with the best upgradable reflectors on the market for growing hard coral for the cost. LED's hold their intensity for quite a bit longer but struggle with depth intensity, width intensity, and price tag.

Joee3196

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
New york
i would go with the MH i have seen to many corals bleached out or burnt with leds to feel confortable recomending any, exept radion led's found they are the exeption.

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
Probably would be looking at about 2,000 at the most for LEDS on a 165g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store