What is better MH lights or LED

i Tuna

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kuwait
MH- has been tested, and works. They can grow coral exceptionally well and color them up just as well. - Downside? Heat, Electricity.
LED- Relatively new to the Reef aquarium hobby. They can grow coral exceptionally well and color them up (IME with a Radion, the color is not as good and lacks the intense fluorescence that a 400watt Radium can achieve). Downside? Very low resale value considering the speed at which LED technology is advancing, as well as our understanding for the required light spectrums that coral require.

My 2 cents.

Regards, Walid

backpack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
Fl, USA
I bought my led setup for 200 dollars. It consists of 9 exotic stunner strips and a marineland reef led 48".
It was used but my 55 looks great and grows hard and softs at the bottom well. Heat is no issue and the colors
are great. The shimmering effect is nice as well.

WayneL333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2018
Mh are full spectrum and have a much fuller spread but they run a lot hotter and use a lot more electricity.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Mh are full spectrum and have a much fuller spread but they run a lot hotter and use a lot more electricity.
Thread is 6 years old, interesting to see how far LEDs have come in the hobby, hardly anybody uses MH anymore!

Reactions: Lepisosteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store