What is everyone feeding their Geophagus?

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I have a group of 4 Red Head Tapajo's, 2 Altifrons and 4 albino heckelii. I have been feeding them only NLS Cichlid formula. Does anyone have any other suggestions on good quality foods?

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I use omega one and xtreme- switched from NLS as it’s clouds my water more than I like.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
NLS Thera+ A, and earthworms 1-2 times a week for my geos. Mine were accustomed to frozen before I bought them, so converting to pellets took time.

How did you get the A. heckelii to feed on pellets? Mine still doesn't since the two months I've had him.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
NLS Thera+ A, and earthworms 1-2 times a week for my geos. Mine were accustomed to frozen before I bought them, so converting to pellets took time.

How did you get the A. heckelii to feed on pellets? Mine still doesn't since the two months I've had him.
Honestly the Albino Heckelii are very new to me but are taking the pellets readily. They are grabbing them mid water while floating down and also out of the sand.

I traded in (2) 6-7' Standard Heckelii that were readily taking the pellets for the year i had them

Last edited:

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
I also feed my eartheaters Hikari algae wafers. Weirdly enough, my heckelii prefers this stuff over his actual pellet food. I break it into small pieces and he just gorges on them.

Then again, hikari is like meth to every fish i've had, even small tetras and BGKs

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have a group of 4 Red Head Tapajo's, 2 Altifrons and 4 albino heckelii. I have been feeding them only NLS Cichlid formula. Does anyone have any other suggestions on good quality foods?
I have fed NLS cichlid formula to geos for many years, but I now also rotate in NLS AlgaeMax a few times a week, which my RH Tapajos seem to highly approve of. And as Duane stated, for geos keep the pellet size small (1-2 mm) even for large adults.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My Heckelli eats darn near everything i throw in there. Bloodworms, earthworms, veggie/blackworm/shrimp pellets and flakes...hes a healthy eater.

Ive never actually observed my red head eating anything specifically but hes constantly sifting. I assume he likes the sinking pellets because he vigorously defends the main drop spot from all the smaller fish.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I feed my geophagus sveni and neambi as a staple a mixture of NLS pellets I have mixed in a plastic container: Algaemax, Cichlid pellet, and Thera-A pellet.
I also have biotodoma cupido and wavirini that eat the pellets as well.
I also rotate in freeze-dried blackworms with spirulina, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brineshrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store