What is lifespan of flowerhorn?

bull230k

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
New Orleans
I have a flowerhorn. He grew really fast, but I think he's gonna die soon. He's 3 years old. Do flowerhorns normally live beyond 3 years?

Psuedofire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Minnesota
It depends on genetics, food, and care. I hear that pumping them up shortens life span. Which makes sense because look at people or other animals that over eat. Their lives are typically shorter than a one who eats in moderation.

bull230k

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
New Orleans
yeah. mine is 3 years old. he grew to 12 inches in just under 3 years now. he has been a bit inactive over last couple of weeks. but today when i came to look at the tank in the afternoon he was upside down. doing a water change. however all of the other fish in the tank look 100% healthy. so im not sure whats going on if he's sick or just getting old prematurely because he's a hybrid.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It depends on genetics, food, and care.
Exactly.

Unfortunately many FH are genetic weaklings, no different than other popular designer strains of fish, such as discus. There is hybrid vigor, and then there is just plain sloppy breeding where recessive genes start piling up causing genetically weak specimens.

Add to that people that insist on power feeding to the enth degree, and excessively high tank temps, to the point where this too can also lead to, or add to, premature death.

If you can get a genetically strong fish, one where the breeder didn't ignore health issues for certain physical traits, you should be able to get 8-10 years, or longer out of your fish.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
RD.;4839584; said:
Exactly.

Unfortunately many FH are genetic weaklings, no different than other popular designer strains of fish, such as discus. There is hybrid vigor, and then there is just plain sloppy breeding where recessive genes start piling up causing genetically weak specimens.

Add to that people that insist on power feeding to the enth degree, and excessively high tank temps, to the point where this too can also lead to, or add to, premature death.

If you can get a genetically strong fish, one where the breeder didn't ignore health issues for certain physical traits, you should be able to get 8-10 years, or longer out of your fish.
I find that quite true with modern flowerhorns now a days. They are bred so much that most of them don't even make it to their 4th years. As compared to the original and older strain which the line is very strong, those guys tend to live forever. Such as the KGM back in the early 2000's. I've known 2 people who still have their KGM until this day since they got it in 03' as a fry. And of course swimming in a 180 gallon by themselves with healthy water and such makes a difference to why they live this long...but it's just something I kind of see with modern flowerhorn now.
Another theory(I call it a theory - others call it a fact) I've heard is that breeding them a lot will shorten their lifespan. But I have yet tested out this theory myself, I will do so one day when I have the time in my hand. :D

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
I had an old school ZZ that lived for about 8 years. Died in 08'

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Anything that creates stress on a fish will shorten its lifespan, including excessive breeding, or breeding before the fish is mature enough. Not just sexually mature, but physically mature in size & age. It's not a theory, it's a fact, especially with females that exert a great deal of their energy & resources producing eggs.

Also, modern flowerhorns can be just as long lived as some of the older strains, it depends entirely on the breeder. If overall health & vigor is of no concern, and the breeder only focuses on the physical attributes of the breeders, then genetically weak fish will generally be the end result.

This is exactly what happens with most of today's designer fish strains, not just flowerhorns. Very few breeders will spend a decade or more perfecting a line, or make health & vigor a priority, they simply pump out what looks & sells the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store