What is so special about pikes?

searcyb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
Illinois
I have never kept pikes and my LFS just got some nice looking ones in but the guy that works there is not a huge fan of them for some reason, and he has been keeping cichlids for many years now.

can someone tell me why they love these fish so much? is it because of their personality? are they aggressive? will they live with the fish in my signature? a little info would be awsome.

THANKS

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
If you mean pike cichlids - Crenicichla:
It is becasuse they are very intelligent, curious and active fish. A lot smarter than Oscars for example. They are piscivorous, so yes most are a bit agressive. But the species and individuums are very different so there is no one-fit-all answer to it. The same applies to tankmates.

Check out my thread "Crenicichla links" on this forum and read up.

I don't think you can add anything to your tanks. Soon you will have to add more tanks.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I kept a saxtillus in a specemin tank because it would beat the hell out of other fish. It was very attractive as well as fun to watch, it would spend all day rearranging the tank. I ended up in a tank that contained driftwood and gravel but no rocks after ramming a rock through the end of the tank one night. It is hard to explain why I like any particular kind of fish, eels are my favorites but I can't really tell you why in any coherent fashion.

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
Bikes are great you can ride around for free and they keep you healthy... oh pikes.....

i'll get my coat...

gilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
just watch them eat is worth owning them. They are not the kind of fish that just watch food floating around wondering if they should eat it, tthey tear right into it. they have a great personality as well,and they will hold their own with almost anything their same size!

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
oh dude. wait until you get the wrath of peanut for questioning the greatness of pikes. :clap

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
it all depends on your taste. Just like you find people that love and swear by other fish, its all personal preference.
My 1st was a saxatilis and it was much more active than any fish ive ever had. So of course I read up on pikes and started checking out the other specimens. Now every time I setup a tank or help some one setup a tank I try to get a pike in there. Hopefully 1 day I can have the room to breed em and if lucky enough keep different ones together.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I had a realllllly long reply to this...lol...it was almost two pages long...haha..but it didn't work...so i am annoyed and don't feel like reposting....so i shall just sum it up... JUST BECAUSE!! DON'T QUESTION THEIR KEWLNESS!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store