What is the minimum tank size for a Fire Eel?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If you want somethign to live with an Oscar.. I would suggest a Favrus ( Tire Track) common name patterned belly tire track (Armatus the patterneless belly TT will get as large as a fire or larger). they get approx 24" max and are quite fiesty buggers. or a black spotted leopard eel.. atm my largest is 20" so they MAY get as large as a fire long-term ( not much info out there on their captive size) But are far more aggressive then a fire is ime, and ime good eaters and in general a heartier fish.

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
If you want somethign to live with an Oscar.. I would suggest a Favrus ( Tire Track) common name patterned belly tire track (Armatus the patterneless belly TT will get as large as a fire or larger). they get approx 24" max and are quite fiesty buggers. or a black spotted leopard eel.. atm my largest is 20" so they MAY get as large as a fire long-term ( not much info out there on their captive size) But are far more aggressive then a fire is ime, and ime good eaters and in general a heartier fish.
I agree. I loooove my black spotted eel he is always wanting food every day. lol

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
I saw a Tire Track Eel at my LFS today! Although they were labeled as "Flower Tire Track Eels"??
They were so freaking cute, one of them would follow the movement of my finger with his head. <3
I'm just researching at this point, not set on anything yet. :)

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I'd say with a tire track or a fire eel, you'd have about 2 years max. An M. favus might be okay for life, though.

Usually they grow about 20", in a very large tank they become even bigger. I'd say you want a 6-8 foot long aquarium.
Tank size and maximum size of fish are not directly related, and fire eels usually get to 34-40".

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Theres lots of different eels you could think about if your not set on a fire eel...fire eels do grow large...I think you should go with a tiretrack eel or two instead :p I've always wanted to get some eels myself, one day I'll get some

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes Tire tracks will get large.. Favrus.. or the patterned belly TT stays smaller then armatus the patternless belly TT... the sticky is abit confusing but has pictures of both. Other then the bellies they look almost exactly alike.. just their average captive size is much different. and Tire tracks are better suited to live in more aggressive communities, fire eels are truely gentle giants in comparison.

the hardest part in looking at spiney eels is they are so many made up common names.. your LFS flower tire tracks could be one of many species available. I would suggest looking up actual photographs of "tire tracks" and seeing if you can find a comparison to whats at the lfs. because some spineys in that name will max out at 8" and some like armatus 40"+ ( There is a member here who lost his, and I'de be surprized if it hadn't pushed 5'... yes feet...)

M. Favrus - 24"
M. Armatus - 40"+
M. Dayii - 24"+ ( ? my guess)
Fire eel - 40"+

then their are a bunch of smaller spineys that range generally in the 8"-20" range.

BUt those are the 4 larger ones your liekly to run across.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store