what is the real cost of owning a tegu?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I have heard many times that Columbians are more aggressive and less manageable than Argentines. If the cost of the lizard itself is your main concern you may want to rethink things. Not that they are the most expensive pets to own (some people blow it way out of proportion) but building the enclosure (with the price of lumber these days lol), sourcing food, lighting, and the time it takes to maintain larger animals will far outweigh the cost of the animal, especially since they live quite a while. The main thing is that you will have to build a very large enclosure, A lot of people recommend an 8x4 footprint for an adult. To me, even that seems a bit small for an active lizard that will get to almost 4 feet, but I've never kept one so what do I know. I do know that letting tegus "free roam" (there was a particular lizard on youtube I won't name that inspired lots of people to do that a few years back) is not a good idea and will end in health problems for the lizard. Other than that, make sure to do your research. I know that there's a lot of different viewpoints on how to care for larger lizards and reptiles in general (a lot of things in the reptile hobby seem less "generally accepted" than with fishkeeping) but extensive research is important.

Good luck, a tegu is definitely on the list of animals I would like to own someday, I just don't have the time or resources right now.
while i do appreciate the response this is basically why the thread was made and the thread in its entirety is an acknowledgment that the price of the lizard is almost irrelevant to the price of care. im surprised that so many posts said that the lizard itself is the most expensive part. a tegu and many other large lizards are something i absolutely must keep someday im just deciding whether now is the time and how much money it will cost me. soon id like to be turning a car into a low rider as well as save up a good chunk of money for college so if im buying a tegu id like to know the amount of money to put aside.

any cage is small for any living thing which is why i ask about free roaming because no matter the size of the enclosure id almost certainly want to let him out to explore and stretch his legs and see new things.

id like to be very clear that while the price is the topic of the thread im not looking to cut corners and i put the well being of the tegu way above whatever the cost to maintain the animal is.

Reactions: Bbuckley

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
My plan was to build a 4x4x8 enclosure.
Bottom foot would be for the mulch. Other three feet usable space. Tegus are not a climbing lizard so height for branches etc to climb is not needed.
I was going to place 4 of these for UV needs.

I planned to build the frame on the exterior to ease the water proofing needed on the interior. Pond armor is recommended for interior of wooden enclosures. Over time the continued high humidity would cause the wood to rot.
I was going to put a window on a side for access

Having to replace the mulch 3 to 4 times a year you will need good access.
do you know some affordable quality fixtures for the bulbs you mention.

i was considering making a pvc enclosure but building a window seems complicated.

are you saying the wood will still rot when coated in pond armor?

could i use a large vat(atleast 8’x4’)for water proofing/substrate and one of those puppy barriers?

Reactions: Bbuckley

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No knowledge of tegus here, but they are freakin awesome so I’m following!
Would you want to start with an ackie monitor to get used to monster lizards but more size manageable?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
do you know some affordable quality fixtures for the bulbs you mention.

i was considering making a pvc enclosure but building a window seems complicated.

are you saying the wood will still rot when coated in pond armor?

could i use a large vat(atleast 8’x4’)for water proofing/substrate and one of those puppy barriers?
For light fixtures I was going to buy some from Home Depot so long as they are rated for the same or greater wattage as the bulb.

No the pond armor is to prevent the rot.

Most enclosures I saw for Tegus are of a sealed type a lot easier to maintain the average 85° temp needed.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
What's up djsaltynuts djsaltynuts ,
It sounds like you have other exspenses like school and a car to work on which sounds pretty important to you. I have never see a Tegu for $100-$200. It really sounds like you're concerned about the cost of this project. I have an idea. You could get a 75/90 gallon and get a Bearded Dragon. As adults they get pretty good size and are easy to take care for. They are very interactive and keeper friendly and quite intelligent. It would also cost a fraction of the cost compared to a Tegu and take up way less space. Just my 2 cents. GL

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
No knowledge of tegus here, but they are freakin awesome so I’m following!
Would you want to start with an ackie monitor to get used to monster lizards but more size manageable?
when i was 5 i went to petco on a mission to spend my birthday money on an iguana because i wanted a gigantic lizard. but the person at petco talked me into a bearded dragon which i dont blame them but i had that bearded dragon for quite a long time and i got a couple more after that but i learned that i shouldnt have settled because while it wouldve been allot more lizard i was a little disappointed and i couldve handled it. i dont have any reptiles currently so i dont want to make the same mistake again but i dont want to make a different kind of mistake either.

ackies seem like allot more to handle and allot easier to lose quite frankly.

i was considering igaunas but the fact that theyre aboreal adds allot to the size of enclosure so it’d probably just need the whole room and i dont want some huge lizard climbing ontop of my fishtanks. i was considering spiny tail and desert igaunas but at that point i might as well just get another bearded dragon. i also considered an egyptian uro but thats probably no easier than a tegu with all the special care needed. i also considered other iguanas and monitors but it usually sounded like more work than a tegu with less reward. im also considering a tortoise just because it seems a little less intimidating but itd be a similar enclosure and i know ill just regret not getting a tegu. im open to any suggestions a 3ft-4ft lizard is the size im looking for. or if someone has any suggestions for a lizard able to live in a 6ftx4ft or 4ftx4ft id like to hear them. but any reptile is a huge commitment and i think i should commit to the one i want most.

something that i find very tempting is an egyptian or ornate uro in a 6x 4ft with a tortoise but im sure anyone in the reptile hobby knows that mixing species is a big no no. but theres this enclosure at the reptile shop nearby(a very experienced trust worthy shop not a sketchy one) with a bunch of tortoise species living together that always makes me want to get into turtles/tortoises.

Reactions: Deadeye

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Basic care and handling

Now I did all this research about 3 years ago.

When you bring it home put a worn shirt in it's enclosure to get used to your smell

All meals to be feed outside of its enclosure. You don't want food getting into the mulch and rotting in that high heat/humidity environment.

Set up a place outside of the enclosure to be the "potty" . They can be trained much like cats to go in the same place all the time. It's on you to take it there plenty of time a day so it don't do its business in the enclosure forcing you to change out the mulch more often.

More to follow, tanks are calling....

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
For light fixtures I was going to buy some from Home Depot so long as they are rated for the same or greater wattage as the bulb.

No the pond armor is to prevent the rot.

Most enclosures I saw for Tegus are of a sealed type a lot easier to maintain the average 85° temp needed.
my room has multiple large tanks set in the 80s and its humid as all hell. so my room is like a GD rainforest. which is part of the reason im so curious about free roaming because the wrong temps and humidity dont apply to my room all thatd be missing would be uvb and the high end basking temps.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
while i do appreciate the response this is basically why the thread was made and the thread in its entirety is an acknowledgment that the price of the lizard is almost irrelevant to the price of care. im surprised that so many posts said that the lizard itself is the most expensive part. a tegu and many other large lizards are something i absolutely must keep someday im just deciding whether now is the time and how much money it will cost me. soon id like to be turning a car into a low rider as well as save up a good chunk of money for college so if im buying a tegu id like to know the amount of money to put aside.

any cage is small for any living thing which is why i ask about free roaming because no matter the size of the enclosure id almost certainly want to let him out to explore and stretch his legs and see new things.

id like to be very clear that while the price is the topic of the thread im not looking to cut corners and i put the well being of the tegu way above whatever the cost to maintain the animal is.
While I don't know your situation, it sounds like you are still young and will soon be going off to college and going through big life changes. Speaking strictly for myself (again I don't know your situation) as a 21-year-old about to finish my bachelor's, looking back I am glad I did not make any huge commitments like a tegu as I simply would not have had time to care for it and enjoy it. YMMV.

If you do decide to get one, please make sure to do proper research on free-roaming. Most of the time, it is not a good idea. At the end of the day they are not dogs and a lot of the people who have tried to keep tegus without a proper enclosure have caused bad long-term effects on their lizards. Tegus particularly require high humidity and areas to dig, more often than not letting them free roam 24/7 (I'm not sure if that's what you were planning on) causes major shedding problems and more.

There is a forum dedicated to tegus, https://www.tegutalk.com/ I would start there, those people are very knowledgeable.

Good luck with the lowrider too, that definitely fits with your profile picture, that's a great album!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store