What is this and why does it happen?

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
Hello I am new to discus but I have had help and got my tank set and it's doing fine. But it seems that one of my discus has like sling pulling and I don't know what it is. Any ideas? The rest of my discus are fine and happy but it could be the start of something? Or maybe he just has bad skin? Please help.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

typicalalex1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2011
England, Kent
Im guessing you mean the mark on its side.

It looks like an abrasion, do you have any rocks or other sharp objects in the tank? Discus are very skittish and can hurt themselves quite easily.

Could possible be heater burn?

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015

It looks like an abrasion, do you have any rocks or other sharp objects in the tank? Discus are very skittish and can hurt themselves quite easily.

I have gravel and small rocks that came with the live plants. And plastic deco. I'll post pictures

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015

I doubt it's heater burn. This is the heater

image.jpeg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd suspect the plastic ornaments, if you do catch them brushing against the ornaments (accidental or no); I'd recommend driftwood, or mopani which tends to be smoother

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
I've never caught them against the deco. Could I just do the plants? and not have any deco?
I'd suspect the plastic ornaments, if you do catch them brushing against the ornaments (accidental or no); I'd recommend driftwood, or mopani which tends to be smoother

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I've never caught them against the deco. Could I just do the plants? and not have any deco?
Plants only are a safe option, some fantastic tanks out there that are heavily planted and aquascaped :)

I recommend vallisneria for fish like discus and angels, more experienced members will be able to give you a lot more suggestions though :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't think the discus is rubbing on the ornaments but I would remove them anyhow on account they are ugly and clash with your otherwise nice looking decor.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think the discus is rubbing on the ornaments but I would remove them anyhow on account they are ugly and clash with your otherwise nice looking decor.
I took everything out. Except the live plants. And I put this in there.

image.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store