What is this fuzzy stuff on my drift wood?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
thanks for putting my mind at ease guys! so far I just have 2 archer fish in there, I'll have to get some kind of scavenger to get rid of it

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had that stuff creep up on some old pieces of mine.I removed them,scrubbed and dried the wood but after I put the wood back in the tank the stuff came right back.....I've been told that its harmless but I don't like the looks of the stuff so I no longer use the wood.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
anything thats herbevorouse will generally eat it.. I rotate some of my woods around so my tanks with algae eaters ect get a nice piggy party ever now and then... all my predetor tank woods always get algae growthes ect... usually takes less then a week for the algae crew to clean it back up nice 'n squeeky for them. woods can xfer bacterias ect so make sure you never do it with sick tanks ect.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
excellent way to get rid of it would be 1 or 2 mollies. an hour after u add them tgey will look like they are going to pop from chowing down. warning tho it will do this for about a month so just cuz its gine doesnt mean it will stay gone

2pac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
So. California
its a harmless white fungus that grows on uncured driftwood, most types. Doesnt spread easily so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Unless you visually dont like it. Species that I've personally confirmed will eat it: nerite snails, amano shrimp, otocinclus.

jwehrling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
F-Town
It happened to me too but within a day my pleco had cleaned it all up...nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Got it on my driftwood. I've had it for months and just leave it there. Fish are fine so I don't care. Looks cool with the ruins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store