What kind of algae is this and how do i get rid of it?

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
My experience with hair algae is that it tends too be caused by excess light. How long are the lights on for each day? What are the lights and how close to the surface are they?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
My experience with hair algae is that it tends too be caused by excess light. How long are the lights on for each day? What are the lights and how close to the surface are they?
The java fern was in my 75 gallon planted moved into the 180 but for my 180 I keep lights on 7 hrs a day and they are beamswork EA full spectrum.

On my 75 I have beamswork DA 6500k pent and they are also on 7 hrs a day.

Both fixtures are on top of glass lids.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
BBA pretty much does not get eaten by anything. I killed mine with 3% hydrogen peroxide over several weeks and let the shrimp graze off the leftovers

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
The java fern was in my 75 gallon planted moved into the 180 but for my 180 I keep lights on 7 hrs a day and they are beamswork EA full spectrum.

On my 75 I have beamswork DA 6500k pent and they are also on 7 hrs a day.

Both fixtures are on top of glass lids.
Then I'd rule out lighting as an issue :)

Reactions: SandNukka15

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Another idea that has been suggested to me for helping to prevent algae growth on broad leaf slow growing plants (java fern / anubias).... a strong current.

Apparently the increased flow over the leaves prevent algae growth / build up? I'm sure it's working (or at least helping) for me at the moment with anubias...

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Another idea that has been suggested to me for helping to prevent algae growth on broad leaf slow growing plants (java fern / anubias).... a strong current.

Apparently the increased flow over the leaves prevent algae growth / build up? I'm sure it's working (or at least helping) for me at the moment with anubias...
I added an extra powerhead in the back corner facing across most the java fern yesterday hoping it helped

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store