What kind of cichlid is this?

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this from a local LFS and it was labeled as an electric blue Johanni. After research I learned johanni don't ever have vertical stripes. Please help if anyone has ideas
---
TMA: Mon Dec 04 2017 12:15:30 GMT-0500 (EST).jpg

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
looks like a johanni to me.
Thank you DR T. I was looking online and some posts say johanni don't have vertical stripes, it's hard to get good info. I was about to return him or her but I thought I would ask first. Also do electric blue johanni go well with demasoni and cynotilapia afra cobue? They are all juvenile

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I could be wrong but every one that i have seen has vertical stripes. I'm no expert but as for recommendation. it depends on the size of the tank and a few other factors. I would say they will probably be fine. I would worry a little about con-specific aggression because they do all look similar but I would say you'll be okay. once again i have mostly kept Central and South American cichlids so I am not sure and theres no way to be certain.

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong but every one that i have seen has vertical stripes. I'm no expert but as for recommendation. it depends on the size of the tank and a few other factors. I would say they will probably be fine. I would worry a little about con-specific aggression because they do all look similar but I would say you'll be okay. once again i have mostly kept Central and South American cichlids so I am not sure and theres no way to be certain.
Thanks, looking at pictures online I've seen some johanni with "checkered" stripes with both vertical and horizontal but the first johanni I got was only horizontally striped so then I started freaking out about crossbreeding. The tank they are in is a 75 gallon (48"x18"x21") the filter is an emperor 400. When my fish start to mature I will get a second filter with the minimum filtration power of a penguin 200. Depends on if someone buys my second 29 gallon tank. My wife won't let me keep two tanks lol. Stock is as follows:

6 cynotilapia afra cobue
2 melanochromis johanni (electric blue)
2 labidochromus caerulius (yellow lab)
1 maylandia estrathe (red zebra)
1 pseudotropheus demasoni

I want to make decisions on what schools would be good for my situation.
Any advice is always appreciated

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I don't see why they wouldnt be fine in that size of a tank. especially since non of those fish get over 6". However there are always exceptions. Just keep an eye out on them. a little aggression or picking here and there is to be expected but if you start to see one getting bullied or singled out then i would remove the one being bullied. Just keep up your water changes and the fish should stay happy and healthy.

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why they wouldnt be fine in that size of a tank. especially since non of those fish get over 6". However there are always exceptions. Just keep an eye out on them. a little aggression or picking here and there is to be expected but if you start to see one getting bullied or singled out then i would remove the one being bullied. Just keep up your water changes and the fish should stay happy and healthy.
Thanks Dr. I am planning on getting at least pairs of each fish. My concern is the yellow lab and red zebras cross breeding though so I am debating on keeping only two yellow labs and two red zebras only. Demasoni I've read prefer to have 12 in a school, I can't fit that many so I was think of leaving just one single. They I was considering 6 of another mbuna species any suggestions?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Johanni are evil little bastards. Porbably will kill your demasoni, as demasoni look similar but are smaller and less tough. I would say your stock is all pretty good except the johanni. You might have luck with them and get some that aren't so bad, but they definitely are a little more aggressive than the other fish on your list.
With mbuna, I find it is better to get larger groups of fewer species, than to get a few specimens of more individual species. They tend to be more aggressive to their own kind, and in a group of 5 or 6, that aggression is spread out. But if you only have two, especially if they are both males, the stronger one tends to kill the smaller one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store