What kind of fish, 30 Gallon Tank (Saltwater)

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
a clown is a damsel...so they are all aggressive, some a tiny bit more than others...but they will be territorial regardless of the species... so basically pick what you like the look of. (the only exception is maroons, which do tend to be a little more territorial). If you plan on having two, introduce them at the same time..and buy them at about 1.5-2" that way they are still sexed the same.

but i agree with the latter.... add the cardinals first, let them settle in... and dependent upon which clown you choose add it at a later date.

Firefish/dartfish are also another good choice...however they are very skittish...and normally dwell under rocks or find a little crevice they hide... they are known as great jumpers...however i've kept 1 in my tank for 6 months alone..then bought him two friends...none have ever made an attempt that i've seen or even a successful attempt to jump from the tank... and i have no lid whatsoever.

i also agree with staying away from angels...just not a good beginner fish...

lastly, DO NOT GET A DAMSEL. i'll save you the heartache, and effort right now. Clowns are okay, but do not for the love of god get a damsel lol. if you ever have to move or break your tank down they are the fastest fish and are very difficult to catch. plus they are extremely territorial and attack other fish nonstop, especially when they begin to grow.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Maroon clowns, tomato clowns, fire clowns,Fiji Barberi's to name a few get larger and more aggressive, theres alotta clowns - you need to find Nemo.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
So I have decided to get 3 green chromises, 2 ocellaris clowns (added last), 10 Cerith Snails, 5 Nerite Snails, 5 Margarita Snails, 1 Sand Sifting Starfish, 5 Red Leg Hermit Crabs, 5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Medium Cleaner Shrimp and 1 Arrow Crab (all inverts are from a clean-up crew package from petco, the 30 gallon variation of the package), do any of you see any potential problems with my future setup?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
So I have decided to get 3 green chromises, 2 ocellaris clowns (added last), 10 Cerith Snails, 5 Nerite Snails, 5 Margarita Snails, 1 Sand Sifting Starfish, 5 Red Leg Hermit Crabs, 5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Medium Cleaner Shrimp and 1 Arrow Crab (all inverts are from a clean-up crew package from petco, the 30 gallon variation of the package), do any of you see any potential problems with my future setup?
The hermit crabs might try and eat eachother but thats the only problem i see. Its not really even a problem... Its just nature

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Don't limit yourself to just hardy fish. Even though you may not know much now, once everything is set up and you did your research, you'll know a lot more then you did. I was in the same situation as you are but I was starting off with a 20 gal, within 4 months I'm keeping sensitive fish with no problem. For your tank size, you could get a flame angel which have much more vibrant colors then a clown or chromis but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
I would recommend a flame hawkfish. They perch themselves on rocks and coral and have a ton of personality. I had one for years, he would beg for food whenever I got near the tank. 30 gal is plenty big for them to live a long time.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Flame angel or a goby. I've trained ckcdrummer's flame angel to give my finger a smooch whenever I stick my finger in the tank; they have a ton of personality as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store