What kind of grouper is this?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im no expert in this area, but they do look a lot like the “freshwater acclimated” bumble bee groupers i’ve been seeing for sale over here in recent months...

And yes, i know how crazy that sounds, but a few LFS’ here have got (at least) similar looking fish in completely freshwater, although no idea how they did it or how long they would actually survive in full fresh...

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Im no expert in this area, but they do look a lot like the “freshwater acclimated” bumble bee groupers i’ve been seeing for sale over here in recent months...

And yes, i know how crazy that sounds, but a few LFS’ here have got (at least) similar looking fish in completely freshwater, although no idea how they did it or how long they would actually survive in full fresh...
not 100% just very low salinity.

not as long as they are supposed to live usually couple of years i heard

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
not 100% just very low salinity.

not as long as they are supposed to live usually couple of years i heard
I dont even think its low salinity, as they claim they dont add anything to the water??? Although that could be just a way for them to sell the fish to un-suspecting customers which wouldnt surprise me either...

Last edited:

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I dont even think its low salinity, as they claim they dont add anything to the water??? Although that could be just a way for them to sell the fish to un-suspecting customers which wouldnt surprise me either...
not sure if possible but some do sell as 100% fully converted.... iirc origin from taiwan

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
not sure if possible but some do sell as 100% fully converted.... iirc origin from taiwan
That could explain the origins since i live in Asia as well...

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Are they kept in completely fresh or have a little salt added as well???

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I suspect they will need a lot of salt if they are too live very long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store