What kind of paint for bottom of bare bottom tank?

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
What kind of paint can I use for the bottom of a large acrylic tank? Want to paint the outside bottom black to avoid a reflection on the bottom and give it a black finish. I’m worried about the paint scratching off when the tank is pushed into place on the stand.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
What kind of paint can I use for the bottom of a large acrylic tank? Want to paint the outside bottom black to avoid a reflection on the bottom and give it a black finish. I’m worried about the paint scratching off when the tank is pushed into place on the stand.
Use some black cloth? Can't scratch that off.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You’re going to have to be extremely careful placing that tank on the stand without pushing it if you aim to get it on there without scratching the paint.
I pained the bottom of a glass aquarium, then let the paint cure for 3 days. When I was pushing it onto the stand, it scratched some of the paint off and I had to redo the areas that scratched.
You’d probably be better off placing a thick vinyl sticker on the bottom (like something from a vehicle wrap shop) and use pvc pipes to roll the tank into place instead of dragging it across the stand.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would not spray paint the tank, It could cause a chemical reaction and cause crazing. I used acrylic paint from the craft store on the bottom of my 450 and it didn’t scratch off when I put it on my stand. I did 4 coats and It came out nice and solid. EBB45505-21DC-4196-8F86-28A9CBD33DBC.jpeg

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
I would not spray paint the tank, It could cause a chemical reaction and cause crazing. I used acrylic paint from the craft store on the bottom of my 450 and it didn’t scratch off when I put it on my stand. I did 4 coats and It came out nice and solid. View attachment 1398186
Do you know the name of the paint you used or have a pic of the can?

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Sorry if this sounds stupid but how would painting the outside of the tank reduce reflection? The reflective surface is still untouched inside the tank. Wouldn't painting the back of a glass panel make it a better mirror?

Just asking for personal information

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store