what kind of paint?

Copeina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I use automotive "rocker panel" paint on the outsides of my (glass) tanks. Cheap and permanent. You can use cheap spraypaint as well, but it will peel in time.

If you mean to paint the inside of something like a plywood tank, go with a 2 part marine epoxy that the manufacturer states is for potable water.

Hope that helps,
/Kris

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i use an oil based paint ;)

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
I painted the back of my tanks with acrylic latex paint using a foam brush. I did a light coat the first layer, all in horizontal strokes. Let that dry for 24 hours, then did another light coat, this time with vertical strokes. It took about 4 coats but turned out really well. If I want to change things, I can just peel the paint off like a sheet of plastic. Too thick of a coat, or not enough time to dry will cause the paint to peel before it's dry, ruining the entire process.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Ive only painted to outside bottom on my 20L I used regular Spray pain, an did a few diff colors for a lil contrast.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
i just used ordinary lacquer spray paint for mine but that's mainly due to unavailability of specialized paints here in the Philippines.. i'd go for specialized paints for glass which i know are available there in the US so that it won't get easily chipped :)

Copeina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
DeLgAdO said:
what about paint for acrylic tanks???

I wouldn't paint acrylic - you just never know what chemical will react with it and make it soft!!! Especially do not use spray type paints.

Go with a tape-on backdrop.

/Kris

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
i used the normal backing you buy on a roll for my acrylic tank as i was advised not to use paint on acryil.

on my glasss tank i painted the back with black gloss (on the out side), this never peeled or cracked or anything in the time i used the tank but i wouldent like to think i was trying to get it back off again. i just pored the whole tin on the back and spread it across the back on a tick layer, it took 2 day to dry but i was very impressed with the finish when i looked threw the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store