what kind of pike is this

AmazonPredator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
That's not overstocked as long as the red devil and oscar are juveniles. The tank is definitely not a long term solution, though. :thumbsup:

nandus_nandus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Kansas City, KS
Your fish is a Crenicichla sp. bellycrawler. This is a Columbian pike, one of the most frequently seen pikes for sale in the U.S. Even so, it is not formally described in the scientific literature, hence "bellycrawler" instead of a true species name. If your pike has the red sides and dorsal ocellus that you described, it is a female. These fish can be pugnacious. Although texts describe them as getting larger, I've really never seen a female larger than yours. They seem to be slow-growing, for pikes. The males will get larger than that, though.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Xingu I? LOL!! Oh man...that made me laugh when i read that bro....i need to educate you. It looks more like Crenicichla sp. 'venezuela' than it does xingu I...goober. Nadus is totally right. Definately Crenicichla sp. 'bellycrawler'...he took away all the fun from me...lol...definately sounds like a female too. Great pikes...get a bit large...my male after several years was pushin 8"....easily...:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store