What light for planted 180?

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Those plants look to be thriving. It's like an oasis of greenery right under your light. Is that growth all down to your lights, or do you run CO2 as well? And do you dose with regular liquid and substrate ferts additions?

By the way, awesome pic on the wall.
Thanks man I used to draw alot!
All lights brother! No co2 and no ferts... just light and fish poop lol

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Thanks man I used to draw alot!
All lights brother! No co2 and no ferts... just light and fish poop lol
That's brilliant, I half expected you to come up with a load of high tech mumbo jumbo, lol. That's very encouraging. Looks like i'm going to have to rehash my canopy design to incorporate two of those bad boys. Cheers for that.

You've got some serious art skills going on there. You need to draw/paint some fish and put them in the art section.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I use 2 Finnex planted+ (36inch) on top of a 125gal (6 foot). Granted this is shallower than the 180gal.
I use 1 Finnex planted+ (48inch) on top of a 75gal (4 foot), also shallower.
I have been very happy with both. Photos below. This are not heavily planted tanks, and I don't consder the plant performance diverse or outstanding, just plain satisfactory. And it revolves around low-to-medium light plants. I do give root tabs (once a ear?), and Flourish twice a month, nothing else.

I will suggest to start with a relatively small number of plant species (no more than 5), and as things progress, you can add more in chosen places than may appear more suitable than others. Every time I start with many different plants, I end up concluding that I wasted money and time.

125g Prochi Hemiodus_1.jpg

Semaprochilodus IMG_0557 Crop.jpg

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
That's brilliant, I half expected you to come up with a load of high tech mumbo jumbo, lol. That's very encouraging. Looks like i'm going to have to rehash my canopy design to incorporate two of those bad boys. Cheers for that.

You've got some serious art skills going on there. You need to draw/paint some fish and put them in the art section.
Haha ya maybe some day when I have time for it!
Only thing else I can add tho is that I have a somewhat heavy bio load... so all the fish waste prob helps too.. and also I have hundreds of snails in this tank helping clean up too so you'll havto just play around with the light and your setup.. I keep white up 100% on this and blues about 20 or 30 %

If you wanna grow some of the more difficult plants out there just do some research as some plants prefer a plant substrate also... not too much work putting in a bit of soil here and there for those plants

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store