What now?? Mites?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the tag Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 . Sorry for them late reply. Weekends with my kids always seems to catch up to me. Can’t add much to what drb already mentioned.

My only suggestion would be cut back on meals and increase ur tank maintenance (water changes, remove leftover, and gravel vacuum). Eventually the scavengers will go away. Treating with prazipro and killing the bugs can add to ur bioload. It’s unexpected and can affect ur fish. I’ve had it prior and just cut back on food and up tank cleaning.

Best of luck.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the tag Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 . Sorry for them late reply. Weekends with my kids always seems to catch up to me. Can’t add much to what drb already mentioned.

My only suggestion would be cut back on meals and increase ur tank maintenance (water changes, remove leftover, and gravel vacuum). Eventually the scavengers will go away. Treating with prazipro and killing the bugs can add to ur bioload. It’s unexpected and can affect ur fish. I’ve had it prior and just cut back on food and up tank cleaning.

Best of luck.
Will definitely up the maintenance. So I can be sure they're not parasitic?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Will definitely up the maintenance. So I can be sure they're not parasitic?
If they are parasitic they’d be usually on/in the fish and not in the tank substrate or anywhere else other than the fish.

Post a pic of able.

Reactions: clm08k and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Best of luck.
+1

Unless the fish are shedding slime coated and the mites are congregating on the fish I would use meds.

How much are you feeding ? How often ? And what's your water change schedule ?

Other than the 2 small Polys what's in the tank and their sizes ?

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
If they are parasitic they’d be usually on/in the fish and not in the tank substrate or anywhere else other than the fish.

Post a pic of able.
Right. Parasitic is the wrong word. I mean more like plecos which aren't parasitic per se but develop a taste for poly slime coat.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
+1

Unless the fish are shedding slime coated and the mites are congregating on the fish I would use meds.

How much are you feeding ? How often ? And what's your water change schedule ?

Other than the 2 small Polys what's in the tank and their sizes ?
Sorry, would or wouldn't use meds?

I usually feed twice a day, either about 6 Hikari carnivore pellets each time, a cube of bloodworms, or about the same amount of tilapia. I overdo it on the tilapia sometimes so I don't give anything the next day. I don't know if it's relevant, but it was after I started using Boyd Vita Chem that I had the outbreak of hydra in the QT and now this. Could it be that the vitamin solution is adding too much nutrients to the system? (Though I don't add it to the tank as directed, but soak the tilapia in it.)

Nothing else in this 30 gallon tank. One poly is about 10 cm, the other 12 cm.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

I usually feed twice a day, either about 6 Hikari carnivore pellets each time, a cube of bloodworms, or about the same amount of tilapia. I overdo it on the tilapia sometimes so I don't give anything the next day. I don't know if it's relevant, but it was after I started using Boyd Vita Chem that I had the outbreak of hydra in the QT and now this. Could it be that the vitamin solution is adding too much nutrients to the system? (Though I don't add it to the tank as directed, but soak the tilapia in it.)

I would worry about bloat when you are feeding that much food, twice a day is crazy imo.
They wont have enough time to digest the food and by the time they do digest it here comes a another food, just remeber that a CB poly dont have control on their eating habits, they may look hungry cause everytime you throw food in the tank and they will eat it, it dosent mean they are hungry. You have to control their diet or your poly will have a problem with digestion in a long run, some digestion problem like bloating can lead to fish stress, worst case is if the poly is upside down and cant swim properly cause of the bloat and cant get to the surface to get air, it will drown and cause death.
So you have to control the feeding buddy, no one else.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I would worry about bloat when you are feeding that much food, twice a day is crazy imo.
They wont have enough time to digest the food and by the time they do digest it here comes a another food, just remeber that a CB poly dont have control on their eating habits, they may look hungry cause everytime you throw food in the tank and they will eat it, it dosent mean they are hungry. You have to control their diet or your poly will have a problem with digestion in a long run, some digestion problem like bloating can lead to fish stress, worst case is if the poly is upside down and cant swim properly cause of the bloat and cant get to the surface to get air, it will drown and cause death.
Yes, my polli always looks hungry. Thanks for the warning. How much should I feed then? I've been using the rounded belly guideline.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

No wouldnt use meds. Would follow what kno4te said.

Your feeding way too much. Pick one food pellets tilapia, or what ever else you feed and feed it once per day. The next feeding you can rotate something else in.

If it were me I would skip feedings 3 or 4 days and then feed lightly when you do feed them, at least until your get the mite issues under control. When you do wc stir up the substrate then vacuum. Do larger wc's too.

You don't need to feed these guys huge meals. A few pellets each or peices of tilapia will do. Also I'd stop feeding the blood worms. The pellets and tilapia have more nutrition and are less messy. Worms that aren't eaten are probably adding to the mite food source. Last thing lol chop the tilapia small enough so that can eat it in one bite instead of tearing it up and creating a mess.

Gospel right there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store