What plants would you use?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I have corkscrew willow driftwood that I'd like to set up as unique tree like features in my new planted 29. I know people glue, tie, etc many plants to driftwood and the like; so what plants would you recommend for if i'm going for a tree like look with these corkscrew branches? Sorry for the scratches etc. it was a used tank and is definitely not a showroom piece but I will still enjoy it. Oh and the rock is a special type of obsidian found (as far as i know) only in the owyhee river area of Idaho. My camera does not do it justice with the light on, very washed out without water.

20180714_185119.jpg

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Star moss looks like a new option. I can see why the willow moss gets its name. looks very muvh like a globe willow .. might be something to consider. ty

Reactions: tlindsey

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
After doing so more research i found that star moss isn't technically a sub-aquatic plant and that would be an issue for me. I have roughly 20 pieces of driftwood though I seriously doubt i'd use that many. To add to the info, I think I've decided on killies as my main focus on the tank as well as some for of tetra but no specific fish have been locked down. Hopefully this help you to give me ideas lol :)

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After doing so more research i found that star moss isn't technically a sub-aquatic plant and that would be an issue for me. I have roughly 20 pieces of driftwood though I seriously doubt i'd use that many. To add to the info, I think I've decided on killies as my main focus on the tank as well as some for of tetra but no specific fish have been locked down. I'd like to keep shrimp which is the reason I switched from dwarf cichlids and apistos though i have heard no shrimplet is safe with any killi. Hopefully this help you to give me ideas lol :)

Java Moss or Anubias for larger pieces of Driftwood.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After doing so more research i found that star moss isn't technically a sub-aquatic plant and that would be an issue for me. I have roughly 20 pieces of driftwood though I seriously doubt i'd use that many. To add to the info, I think I've decided on killies as my main focus on the tank as well as some for of tetra but no specific fish have been locked down. I'd like to keep shrimp which is the reason I switched from dwarf cichlids and apistos though i have heard no shrimplet is safe with any killi. Hopefully this help you to give me ideas lol :)

Java Moss or Anubias for larger pieces of Drift
View attachment 1324931 View attachment 1324932 Couple visuals for you. Java moss and smallest anubias nana petite.

That looks fantastic.

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Java moss is faster growing and needs more maintenance than anubias. Moreover, usually there are a lot of debris in java moss, so unless you'll have shrimps (they are super-cleaners of all mosses) or at least small fishes. I'd go with anubias nana petite or if you want a little larger leaves - with any other anubias nana. Also, You can consider bucephalandras on some places - especially the purple ones (like 'deep purple') would look cool. They are, like anubias, slow growing plants, can be attached easily with superglue. Just trim the roots when attaching and when it grows it's roots it will attach itself to the driftwood. You can look at my journal - I made my 'trees' with anubias nana petite. Moreover, both plants does require only low lighting.

For overall scape, I'd do anubias nana petite on driftwood and larger anubias/buces near rocks (just make sure that you don't put rhizome into gravel, just the roots or easier - superglue them to rocks.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Java moss is faster growing and needs more maintenance than anubias. Moreover, usually there are a lot of debris in java moss, so unless you'll have shrimps (they are super-cleaners of all mosses) or at least small fishes. I'd go with anubias nana petite or if you want a little larger leaves - with any other anubias nana. Also, You can consider bucephalandras on some places - especially the purple ones (like 'deep purple') would look cool. They are, like anubias, slow growing plants, can be attached easily with superglue. Just trim the roots when attaching and when it grows it's roots it will attach itself to the driftwood. You can look at my journal - I made my 'trees' with anubias nana petite. Moreover, both plants does require only low lighting.

For overall scape, I'd do anubias nana petite on driftwood and larger anubias/buces near rocks (just make sure that you don't put rhizome into gravel, just the roots or easier - superglue them to rocks.
Thank you for all of the great info. This is the first planted tank I've done where I have taken my time to actually plan. It's a different experience for sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store