What pleco to choose,

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Bristlenose plecos are the best cleaners commonly available. They are one of the few I can keep with plants. They will actually eat the algae off the leaves without damaging them. I also keep clown pleco's rubber pleco's, an albino chocolate common and a ranger pleco with carpintis.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Bristlenose plecos are the best cheaper cleaners commonly available. They are one of the few I can keep with plants. They will actually eat the algae off the leaves without damaging them. I also keep clown pleco's rubber pleco's, an albino chocolate common and a ranger pleco with carpintis.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Bristlenose plecos are the best cheaper cleaners commonly available. They are one of the few I can keep with plants. They will actually eat the algae off the leaves without damaging them. I also keep clown pleco's rubber pleco's, an albino chocolate common and a ranger pleco with carpintis.
How big is your Ranger pleco? If he's over 5 inches, I'd like to see a picture of him.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I've had him about 2 years now. I'd say he was approaching 5". You should have seen him when he was a baby- gorgeous they have this amazing pattern that fades into what you see here. I still think he's cool definitely not shy. He's also the most aggressive dwarf pleco I have ever heard of or encountered. Very carnivorous.

ranger pleco1.jpg

ranger pleco 2.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have never kept any plecos with my larger cichlids, so this is more of a question than a statement. I would be a little weary of placing a small pleco in with a Texas and
an ampilophus.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I've had him about 2 years now. I'd say he was approaching 5". You should have seen him when he was a baby- gorgeous they have this amazing pattern that fades into what you see here. I still think he's cool definitely not shy. He's also the most aggressive dwarf pleco I have ever heard of or encountered. Very carnivorous.

View attachment 1253832

View attachment 1253833
Back in the 90's I had some dark gray with black spots Pterygoplichthys. The best I've been able to identify them as being is Pterygoplichthys undecimalis. I just wanted to see yours to see if they are the same. Yours is too light.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Size could be an issue if you got monsters and you add them too small- Grow them out in a separate tank if you can't find them 4"+I've never had problems unless they spawn. When that happens -assume everything's at risk. I have a super small clown pleco that lays around all the time with amph's and a chocolate they don't notice him as competition for space or food so they could care less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store