What should I put in my sump?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Never heard of a pump assisted HOB overflow? I have a HOB overflow on one tank only pump im using on ghat tank is the returnpump and a aqualifter on the overflow and that only sucks air out of the overflowtube.
Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O39QGW/

"We recomond the use of an Aqua Lifter pump with the CPR overflows for trouble free operation. Another alternative is to hook the bleed hose from the overflow to the air intake of a power head. This way the overflow will continue to wok if it drawes some air into it or in the event of a power failure it will restart"

I'm all ears if there's a cheaper alternative... stupid overflow box costs over half as much as the 135g tank did!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For a pump assisted overflow, I attach an air tube to the venturi aperture of a power head already on the tank, it draws any air out that would break siphon, and a slight amount or water with it.

This is on one of those CPR over flows, and always seems to need the help retaining siphon.

Reactions: BichirKing

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
For a pump assisted overflow, I attach an air tube to the venturi aperture of a power head already on the tank, it draws any air out that would break siphon, and a slight amount or water with it.

This is on one of those CPR over flows, and always seems to need the help retaining siphon.
How powerful powerhead are you using to draw air out of the overflow? I tried with a 500L/h powerhead on a pipeoverflow but didnt get it to work at all.
And as i said i use an aqualifter on my HOB overflow with dual lifttubes. So i use a threeway valve for the airtubes connected to the aqualifter.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
A refugium with plants and a few small fish would be cool, but since the tank will eventually be heavily planted I wonder if it'd provide much benefit?
My thoughts for the refugium was more along the lines of growing out clippings and buds before putting them in your main tank... more than additional plants for better water quality.
.... just a thought.

Lkelley

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2019
Never use pump from the tank to the sump. Always gravityfeed your sump with the pipes from the bulkheads. If you run a pump from the tank and the pump in the sump fails some way you will flood the sump and drain the tank on the floor.
Thanks.

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
Deep splash trash that can allow the water from your fish tank to aerate and maybe a 3 tier sterilite drawer to put filter media especially made for aquariums so that free floating particles to not cause your aquarium pump to malfunction! Maybe encompass the wet/dry and sump configuration in a rubbermaid or steri-lite tub with the lid over the entry and exit hose to keep the sound volume at a minimal. good luck! a lot of that lava rock from construction stores can be really lethal because they are not from the native land of wherever your fish may be from! its cool to have some hanging pantyhose in the sump water with carbon (made espescially for aquarium hobby) in it to absorb impurities in the water and also its cool to have bio balls in the filter system if you can find it because cheap plastic scrubbers can leech really noxious chemicals that might cause your fish stock to perish! looks cool! salt water i'm assuming...

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
On the topic of lava rocks in a sump, any lava rocks work as long as they’re porous correct? I found a website claiming only certain ones are denitrifying. I’m sure this was a way to get you to buy only theirs but I’m wondering if I get some from leftover landscape material and wash them out, if they’d suffice.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
On the topic of lava rocks in a sump, any lava rocks work as long as they’re porous correct? I found a website claiming only certain ones are denitrifying. I’m sure this was a way to get you to buy only theirs but I’m wondering if I get some from leftover landscape material and wash them out, if they’d suffice.
The ones from Home Depot work for me. Just rinse off and use. Claims are denitrifying I believe are for sales. As long as the landscape material has no chemicals on it then it should work.

Reactions: Rob909

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
try to find native rock that reflects where your fish is from...for example...if you happen to have a fish from africa try to come up on rocks from africa but honestly that is getting kind of deep into the chemical composition of your aquarium water...how the water running across your media might alter p.h., salienty, etc.! just try to buy a good sponge media from amazon or your l.f.s.! they have cool filter systems you can mimic!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store