What size tank do YOU think an MBU should be in...

What size tank should a MATURE MBU be placed in?

• 200G or under is fine...

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 201G - 300G

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • 301G - 400G

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 401G - 500G

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 501G - 600G

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 601G - 700G

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 701G - 800G

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 801G - 900G

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 901G - 1000G

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • 1000G or more...

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • They don't belong anywhere near a tank...

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
^ my thoughts exactly... I myself have a polleni thats 16/17 years old now...

My dad kept koi that were well over 30 and now they live in a pond in the buildings pond downstairs...

Anyway, i never said they die because they were in a small tank... But that not enough people have studied these fish properly in a range of tank sizes from small to extemely large tanks to really know what their max potential size is...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
So in your opinion, would a long healthy life be more important or max species size?

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
I cant imagine a puffer would be any worse than say a castexi ray that gets a 30 inch disk, thats why i tend to agree that 1000+ is overkill. Btw isnt rtr the guy who tried to put a mbu in a 180 and when that didnt work he came up with 1000+ gallons
So everyone's opinion of "proper" tank requirement is based on a single person's failure to care for a MBU along with the countless incorrect care sheets found online that also states MBU should be in brackish water?

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
So everyone's opinion of "proper" tank requirement is based on a single person's failure to care for a MBU along with the countless incorrect care sheets found online that also states MBU should be in brackish water?
Yea they claim him to be some puffer expert. Isnt failing with 180 and claiming 1000 for a minimum a huge jump

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
I don't want my MBU to die.... I will be ordering a 1000g gallon tank tomorrow first thing and will be adding salts to bring the salinity of my tank water up to par of brackish fish.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So in your opinion, would a long healthy life be more important or max species size?
I definitely say a long healthy life would be more important than Max Size...

Reason for this being, i believe if you can give them a very healthy long life, then theoretically they should reach their max size anyway and even live longer than their wild counterparts...

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
I definitely say a long healthy life would be more important than Max Size...

Reason for this being, i believe if you can give them a very healthy long life, then theoretically they should reach their max size anyway and even live longer than their wild counterparts...
I couldn't agree with this post more!

I think the main goal is to provide what we can to give a long healthy life and "if" max sized is obtained it's a plus but size doesn't equate to proper health IMO.

magimango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
England
Yea they claim him to be some puffer expert. Isnt failing with 180 and claiming 1000 for a minimum a huge jump
Bonkers isn't it!?!

puffykid said:
Just because on this forum the average size of a mbu is about 26inches doesn't mean this is average size or even a good size. It just shows that in the tank sizes provided combined with the care level given 26inches is on average the largest size that a mbu can reach, but gives no indication to the largest size that the fish can obtain.
26 inches is the number that crops up the most often, not just on this site but through any quick search online. Therefore that is the number people are using. Show us documented proof of mulitple mbu puffers that are bigger than this. Not just one, or two but multiple and then i'm sure people would gladly start using that number as a bench mark. But i'm so tired of this stupid argument "ooh they could get bigger we just don't know yet, my friends friends cousins sister has a 42 inch one so therefore all must reach this size." It is insane. Again show us multiple documented cases showing max age and average ages, if you can't then you have no useful information to be giving advice, wait, telling people how long they 'can' live or how big they 'can' get, its just conjecture Using the article on koi as an example with your logic doesn't that mean all koi should live for 226 years? Or maybe he didn't keep it in a big enough pond and it could have gone on another couple hundred years?
(By the way, wasn't that article off wikipedia or something? Very acurate i'm sure.)

And the infamous RTR brought up again... The puffer guru. His take on mbu puffers has been torn apart multiple times by multiple users on this forum, he tried to keep it in a tank that was obviously too small. Then decided that if it can't live in a 180g, it has to be in a minimum of 1000g. Flawless logic there. :screwy:

Ps. Are you PP just under an alias?

Jenerik

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
USA
I have a pretty good eye for "proportion" of an Mbu puffer (size of pattern relative to eyes, etc.) and based on every internet photo I have ever seen, I can't say that I would put any of those fish at over 30". Of course, that is no proof of anything, just my experienced eye making a gut judgment.

Also, one thing I think is important in regards to tank size is the level of mental stimulation available to the fish. For example, even though my Mbu was cramped in his previous 4' tank, there were caves to investigate, other fish to watch, he was able to survey the living room and watch us, etc. To me, he seemed very "engaged" and was kept very mentally active. Now that we are in this apartment while the house gets done, and he is in a plastic stock tub that does have some rocks and a few fish to keep him company, he basically just sits around and does little. He eats fine, is healthy, etc., but I honestly feel like he is "bored" most of the time (my wife feels horrible for him and we cannot wait to get into the house and get him into the 300G) and he does seem less engaged when I am changing the water, rearranging the rocks. etc.

My point being that to fish which are inquisitive in nature and always like to be poofing around in the sand, in caves, or otherwise "doing something", like Mbu, I think that a giant aqaurium that just no decorations would be a lot worse in the long run than one that might be smaller-than-optimal, but was decorated or habitated in a way which better stimulated their mental needs.

Just my 2-cents.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've completely agree theres not much worst than putting an inquisitive puffer into a bare tank...considering how as you put it, love exploring

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

charlie1187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
al
It's a crying shame that this 1000 gallon tank crap cant just be forgotten!I bet there are alot of people who keep mbu and would love to come share them with us but dont wanna be stoned for keeping it in 125 or 200 ! I personally dont care what size tank you have if you have 1000 gallon tank i'm glad your fourtunate to have it! Futhermore when i neeeded help with my puffer i got the same bs tank size mostly,there are a few peeps that will help!
I can tell u from my experince these so called experts say for ick salt and heat only well thats just BS I personally lost 2 fahakas with salt and heat.
So when the mbu got ick i went with my freinds told me QUICK CURE FULL STRENGTH yes thats rite quick cure and i lied im my thread to overcome the stoning but now idont care!
Maybe someone can save there puffer by using this , it will not melt his skin off it wont hurt him at all i have a video with me using it and mbu and my last fahaka that i wasnt gonna lose are ALIVE and i firmly believe if i didnt do what i did they would be gone .
I bet there are others here that have used all kinds of methods to help there puffers that these so called EXPERTS say will kil them well it BS just liike 1000 gallon tank.
Sure it would be great to have 1000 gallon tank ,but i would be willing to bet you there are people that buy them without knowing nada and keep them in small small small tanks !
The moral to my little rant is it doesnt matter if we buy them there gonna keep importing them it's life!
They will live and be happy in tanks under 1000 gallons !
So please lets keep in mind were here to share, help and talk .
Sorry for rambling!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store