What tank size to go with??

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Okay so looking online i have a few options but im not wanting to spend too much on the new tank and between work and school i am trying to avoid building a tank because I know I am more likely to push it off. However online, I have found an awesome deal at glass cages for a 96*24*25. I am also looking at pricing for an 84*30*18, I am waiting to hear back. and lastly I may be looking at 72*36*24. Keeping polys as the main theme of the tank given the option which size tank would you go with??

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would be watch out for glass cages. Not the quality but their shipping was ridiculous. Also create a review post in the tank set up and filtration section. Just to see what others think about their quality.

Check out prices on those same tanks in acrylic. They may be close if not cheaper.

I like the 84x30 and thr 72x36.

Look at truvu, midwestcustoms, and fishtanksdirect too

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I priced glass cages and their tank was almost half the price of mine but there shipping costs ended up evening it out to almost the same price as acrylic. Unless you can get to one of their distribution centers...at time it was 100 bucks but moving a large tank like that without allot of help wasnt something i wanted to mess around with.

Go with the wider tank. Polys arent crazy active as you know, plus the wider tanks just look cooler

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I would be watch out for glass cages. Not the quality but their shipping was ridiculous. Also create a review post in the tank set up and filtration section. Just to see what others think about their quality.

Check out prices on those same tanks in acrylic. They may be close if not cheaper.

I like the 84x30 and thr 72x36.

Look at truvu, midwestcustoms, and fishtanksdirect too

Yeah that makes since that acrylic would ship cheaper due to weight. I know I emailed midwest a couple of months ago about doing a tank and they were a little high but ill see what i can get with these dimensions. I really don't want anything fancy I just want something that will keep my fish happy and healthy, is that too much to ask? ( Oh and not exploding hundreds of gallons on to my floor lol)

Reactions: jaws7777

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I'm about to sale the 75 i bought this weekend. It has two large chips in the front and back and i just don't trust it. With the luck I've had this months im not risking it. I had my furnace motor basic destroy itself (thank god it was under warranty) and due to having to wait all weekend for the furnace to get fixed my pipes froze and one of them burst luckily i caught it as i was unthawing them. and I am just not willing to risk that tank at this point.

Anyway back the topic at hand. I would like to find a place locally but the only place i know of is too sketchy for me to get near.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Shipping a big glass tank is expensive. I got free shipping on mine since I bought the factory stand and canopy. ( I did not go with glass cages because of the reviews I had seen) I like show tanks so I went with a 300 tall. I think your fine with anything at least 24 inches wide but 30 to 36 would give some nice options for large tank decor without taking up too much poly space. Once you go above 24 inch tall they can be an issue with maintenance... but I just deal with it, wet arm pits and all.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Shipping a big glass tank is expensive. I got free shipping on mine since I bought the factory stand and canopy. ( I did not go with glass cages because of the reviews I had seen) I like show tanks so I went with a 300 tall. I think your fine with anything at least 24 inches wide but 30 to 36 would give some nice options for large tank decor without taking up too much poly space. Once you go above 24 inch tall they can be an issue with maintenance... but I just deal with it, wet arm pits and all.

Yeah, the shipping is something i haven't even really considered. I mean I did ask midwest when i talked to them about a 84*36 tank and didnt get too much there. Also, none none of the fish i keep really need taller tanks. I may get back with midwest and check out the other places.

P.s. Has the armpit in the tank given you any problems with nitrite spikes DMD123 DMD123 ?:D:D:p

Reactions: magpie

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
For me the tank was part of a major move/remodel. My wife and I decided to downsize into a nice rambler and we designed the house around the big tank in the living room. I have always wanted an 8 foot tank and this was the time to do it. But it was Heavy and I had 8 people to move the beast!

Reactions: DRteugelsi

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Lol, no just algae growth in my arm pit hair... :eek:
Well, as long the wife doesnt mind HAHA

For me the tank was part of a major move/remodel. My wife and I decided to downsize into a nice rambler and we designed the house around the big tank in the living room. I have always wanted an 8 foot tank and this was the time to do it. But it was Heavy and I had 8 people to move the beast!
Thats also a big worry for me is having to find a bunch of people to move it even if it dropped off at my door.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store