What the hell is this???

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
this Betta was said to have had the fungus already growing on it before it passed, then by next morning it was like what was pictured above supposedly???
Hello; That the infection (fungus or whatever) was already active while the fish was still alive is an important clue. Let me start my WAG here. Using the mushrooms that seem to suddenly pop up in our yards as an example. It seems they show up overnight but were already well involved in the ground. The mushrooms (fruiting body) are only a small part of the whole organism. They pop up quickly from the larger unseen mass of the fungal mycelium under the right conditions.
At least one flaw with this idea is most fungal infections feed on dead organic material. There is a stray random thought lurking in my memory about a fungal infection that kills some insects. Not a clear enough memory to be worth much but if true does support the idea the fish was already well infused with the organism while alive so upon death could bloom quickly.

We people get fungal infections while alive but most are those which start on the dead outer layer of skin, jock itch and athletes foot come to mind. There is also a bad fungal infection of the lungs I think.
finding it hard to believe that a fungal infection would take hold that quickly, but then again, i’ve never had tanks kept that badly i guess :p
hello; Very good question and one for which some information would be nice.
Whether to call BS or not im not certain but definitely makes you wonder what the deal is and could the infection be that extreme to do so much damage in such a short period of time???
Hello; Another WAG on my part. That being if the commercial breeders of bettas (and other popular fish) use anti biotic and anti fungal chemicals as a regular part of running their breeding and grow out setups. Sort of like the way animal farmers use so much antibiotics in their live stock. Up front it sounds like a good plan to get more product to market but has helped develop some superbugs. Maybe a super fungus could be an unintended outcome??

Reactions: Fat Homer

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Some species of fungus can go quickly, like saprolegnia. But the fish likely wasn’t take care of for fungus to take over like this. Fungus is secondary to something else as the primary, usually from what I’ve seen.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
S skjl47 i like the your train of thought comparing it to how mushrooms seemingly sprout overnight as a comparison to what might have happened here and could be something very similar???

kno4te kno4te i agree there was likely some other problem or this may have been a newly acquired fish? Either way, being that it was a FB post hard to get or see much info since there were quite a few comments from peopl...

Reactions: kno4te

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
with most fungus, like old or mushrooms, te fruitig body hat you see is just a sex organ. The main organiwm is embedded in the fish/straw/bread, and while it seems to have come from nowhere, it is really just an established organism become visile as it tries to reproduce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store