What the hell?!

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Was walking by one of my favorite fishes spots ans saw this hiding in the shadows. I looked it up and its a common snapping turtle. It was about a foot and a half. I didn't even know they could survive this far north. Sorry for the pics that was closest I could get without getting in the water.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1344428937972.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1344428950527.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1344428964880.jpg

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
I live fairly close to your latitude (Pennsylvania), and snapping turtles are prevalent up here...we actually eat them. We catch them, then let them 'clean out' in a rubber maid tub or homemade pond for a week or two, changing the water repeatedly. Then just boil and peel the shell off. It's actually very tasty once it's been cleaned out. They can live in the most disgusting, cold, crappy water you've seen. They burrow into the mud at the bottom of a pond/lake during the winter, basically going into shutdown. Actually, I believe Canada has them listed as a "concerned" species in some parts due to "human fiddlin".

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I'm surprised how Hardy they are. I found a how list of reptiles and amphibians native to CT.

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
Hardy? They are nature's hazmat crew. Come down and smell some of the bogs these guys live in...I've watched them pop out of factory run off ponds that smell like sulfer and poop to snatch a bird off the shore. Surely, these are the guardians of hell.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hardy? They are nature's hazmat crew. Come down and smell some of the bogs these guys live in...I've watched them pop out of factory run off ponds that smell like sulfer and poop to snatch a bird off the shore. Surely, these are the guardians of hell.
LOL. I live in southern canada and theres a bunch of them. yes, they are isted as concern.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Lol it was trying to eat a bird hiding in the bushes

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol @guardians of Hell...There are some nice sized ones in the creek near me.I see them surface and stick their heads out of the water every now and then.The area where they are mostly seen is where this huge sewer tunnel empties into the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

big900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
connecticut
hey doomiedee i am also in ct. did u happen to get the fish in your avatar from waterbury aquarium about a month ago or so? and snapping turtles are everywhere in ct.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
hey doomiedee i am also in ct. did u happen to get the fish in your avatar from waterbury aquarium about a month ago or so? and snapping turtles are everywhere in ct.
Yeah. I got her and the sick stingray he had there. Its a first seeing one in the wild like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store