what to do if it rains?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
depends where you live and how big the pond is.

In most places the rain replaces any water that evaporated. No big deal. If your in or near a large city and "acid" rain is possible. Then the pond wasn't a good idea to start with.

If its a large pond the rain will make little difference in it. A smaller pond would see a larger effect from the rain but its normally helpful.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
I raise the edge on my pond to prevent any runoff from the yard getting in, any rain that wants in my pond is going to have to fall directly in ;)

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
The only problem I have with rain is heavy rain that overflows the pond. I solved that by digging a drainage ditch from the pond, so that it can only flow out that ditch, not all the way around the edges. I then lined the ditch with medium sized river rock (about 2-3" diameter), so that water can flow through, but no fish or other creatures can be washed out.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
I've got an overflow in my skimmer that is conected to my gutter downspout. It then goes under my paver patio and out in the lawn past the pond to a pop-up emmitter and flows down the yard.

Alhazred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2009
California
icherno;3762836; said:
i never had a pond but want one and i always wondered what people with outdoor ponds do when it rains?

i am sorry to say that your pond may get wet... i am sorry

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

OldMarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
www.picasaweb.google.com
Think about all of the natural ponds around the world. Usually they have a water source to fill it, be it rain, an inlet stream, or an unground spring. Usually there is a overflow somewhere at a low end of that pond.

Your man made pond isn't much different, except you control the enviroment of your pond.

Rain isn't and won't be the problems you need to be concerned about.

Happy ponding,

Rich :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store