what to do if it rains?

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Rich - Your pond is pre-formed correct?

Even if it is EPMD, you could very easily put a bulkhead in it and run flex. PVC to a dry well away from the pond for an overflow.

OldMarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
www.picasaweb.google.com
Hi Muski,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I thought about doing except I have a 18 gallon attached reservor next my pond that serves as a skimmer/pre-filter, and it is at the same water level as the pond. I'm leaning toward putting the overflow on the side of the reservor. My yard is quite level and there seems to be a low area in the yard closest to the reservor.

Thanks again,

Rich :)

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Try to take it 5'+ away. You don't any water seeping under the pond.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Roughly 4/5 months a yr during summer it POURS here daily only for 10 minutes or so but all my "ponds" prefab PVC over flow and no big deal. The fish love it and never lost a single fish due to it.

The more rain the better.
They seem to stay on bottom during that time.

The rain is great and same PH as tap water here over 8.2 lol.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
yogurt_21;3762919; said:
I raise the edge on my pond to prevent any runoff from the yard getting in, any rain that wants in my pond is going to have to fall directly in ;)
I did same thing as ground here is pure rock with 1 to 3 inches of soil on top thus drainage is terrible.

My yard is pure water for a minute after it pours than just like that its dry.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Louie;3805384; said:
Roughly 4/5 months a yr during summer it POURS here daily only for 10 minutes or so but all my "ponds" prefab PVC over flow and no big deal. The fish love it and never lost a single fish due to it.

The more rain the better.
They seem to stay on bottom during that time.

The rain is great and same PH as tap water here over 8.2 lol.
Are you sure the rain there has a ph of 8.2? That is extremely high for rainwater!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_pH_of_rain_water_and_why_and_what_does_it_mean

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Knowdafish;3805416; said:
Are you sure the rain there has a ph of 8.2? That is extremely high for rainwater!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_pH_of_rain_water_and_why_and_what_does_it_mean

Yes that does seem rock hard high. I tested it from my rain barrel and thats what I got. Its going to rain some time this week will give you exact ph from empty glass I leave out.

I read it was 7.4 but I never tested that low ever . Always the darkest blue in my ph test kit .

The water here even rain water is African cichlid hard but your right 8.2 does seem to high like Marine water ph.

OldMarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
www.picasaweb.google.com
Thanks muski,

My yard is about one foot of top soil and rocky sand below that. Our water run off is good, but I like your idea. I'll put the dry well about four to five feet out from the pond near a flower bed. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Happy ponding,

Rich :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store