What to do with a bully?

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Hey guys

Been awhile since I've posted. My bass have gotten larger around 12" and now I'm starting to run into some problems.

6 orinoco bass started half the size of the 3 xingu. The orinoco have caught up to the smallest xi guys in size.

Now I have one orinoco that is always black and bullies the other fish. Tonight one xingu was in the corner fairly badly beaten after just 20 hours. I removed the smallest the beaten one but I've seen the bully go after the others before.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice as my groups move into full adult size.

Tank is 72 x 30 wide by 24. Temp at 79

Here is a video. The bully is black and in the center of the video

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys

Been awhile since I've posted. My bass have gotten larger around 12" and now I'm starting to run into some problems.

6 orinoco bass started half the size of the 3 xingu. The orinoco have caught up to the smallest xi guys in size.

Now I have one orinoco that is always black and bullies the other fish. Tonight one xingu was in the corner fairly badly beaten after just 20 hours. I removed the smallest the beaten one but I've seen the bully go after the others before.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice as my groups move into full adult size.

Tank is 72 x 30 wide by 24. Temp at 79

Here is a video. The bully is black and in the center of the video

Definitely some territorial behavior going on. Tbh don't have experience with PBass but I think it's a male ready to spawn.

Reactions: dr exum

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Definitely some territorial behavior going on. Tbh don't have experience with PBass but I think it's a male ready to spawn.
1. Fillet the bully and season with salt/pepper

2. Dredge in flour.

3. sauté in parsley butter until golden.

4. Add a little white, wine reduce.

5. Throw in dice tomato. Shake the pan and finish with a squeeze of lemon.

6. Eat the bully in front of the tank as a warning to others.

You are now a boss cause you acted like one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

2. Dredge in flour.

?

Reactions: twentyleagues

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019

2. Dredge in flour.

Seriously thou once a PB gets aggressive like this it’s very hard to chill him out in a group. I sadly had to remove some of mine for the same reason. A peaceful tank is a more enjoyable tank. Big aggressive tanks can be cool but the stress is Brutal when you see torn fins and scars in your tanks.

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering though if I remove him will the next one just take his place?

This one does seem a li

Jayc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2017
Liverpool, UK
The problem you’ve got is if you remove the Orino another will probably take its place as the bully!
9 bass in that size tank is overkill I’d reduce it down to around 5 and see if that helps.
Also, I always keep a more aggressive fish in the tank with my bass this usually (well for me) works. I currently have a Male Atabapo Pike in my setup and he keeps the bass in check. You’ve got to be careful though as this can backfire as cichlids each have there own personality ?

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
The problem you’ve got is if you remove the Orino another will probably take its place as the bully!
9 bass in that size tank is overkill I’d reduce it down to around 5 and see if that helps.
Also, I always keep a more aggressive fish in the tank with my bass this usually (well for me) works. I currently have a Male Atabapo Pike in my setup and he keeps the bass in check. You’ve got to be careful though as this can backfire as cichlids each have there own personality ?
Thanks for the advice. I'll bring down the numbers and see if that helps

Reactions: Jayc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store