What to do with crayfish?

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
Hey y'all,

My friend recently donated his pet crayfish (3 inches long) to me. It is an asexually reproducing marble crayfish so I wanted to keep it. He keeps it in one of those plastic betta cups that you find in Petco/Petsmart, but I want to rehome this crayfish into one of my tanks. I am currently deciding which tank I should put the crayfish in.

Here are my 2 choices:

A) 29 gallon tank. Stocking: Female convict cichlid, grow-out Mbuna (that I will remove later), 4 Serpae tetras, rainbow shark, swordtail, clown pleco.

-Pros: large tank, more peaceful fish than my 10 gallon (option B)
-Cons: may eat Serpae tetras? (I don't know, since the crayfish is 3 inches long), and maybe Convict will attack it

B) 10 gallon quarantine/isolation tank. Stocking: 1 4 inch Demasoni cichlid (I'm holding him there because he was too aggressive for my 75). 3 inch rubber lip pleco

-Pros: Crayfish will not eat other fish in there
-Cons: Demasoni cichlid may attack the crayfish

So which tank should I put it in? Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey y'all,

My friend recently donated his pet crayfish (3 inches long) to me. It is an asexually reproducing marble crayfish so I wanted to keep it. He keeps it in one of those plastic betta cups that you find in Petco/Petsmart, but I want to rehome this crayfish into one of my tanks. I am currently deciding which tank I should put the crayfish in.

Here are my 2 choices:

A) 29 gallon tank. Stocking: Female convict cichlid, grow-out Mbuna (that I will remove later), 4 Serpae tetras, rainbow shark, swordtail, clown pleco.

-Pros: large tank, more peaceful fish than my 10 gallon (option B)
-Cons: may eat Serpae tetras? (I don't know, since the crayfish is 3 inches long), and maybe Convict will attack it

B) 10 gallon quarantine/isolation tank. Stocking: 1 4 inch Demasoni cichlid (I'm holding him there because he was too aggressive for my 75). 3 inch rubber lip pleco

-Pros: Crayfish will not eat other fish in there
-Cons: Demasoni cichlid may attack the crayfish

So which tank should I put it in? Thanks
I wouldn't worry about the crayfish being attacked but the crayfish attacking. I personally would put it in the 10 gallon.

Reactions: GolemGolem

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Personally I’d find a 10 too small for a cray.
Assuming you move out the mbunas it should be safe in the 29. Really crays are only a threat to sick/dying fish or slow fish with long flowing fins. Tetras should be safe, and a convict is too small to really make a meal out of it.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have crayfish I breed for my fahaka. They are in a tank with a bunch of guppies and they most definitely catch and eat guppies that are perfectly healthy. I'd worry more about the other fish you intend on keeping with it. Being 3" I don't think it would have to much of a problem catching and killing any of those fish you are talking about. The larger fish could definitely damage it and will eat any clones it produces, I still feel that the cray is more of a danger to the fish.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I agree, crayfish and fish are generally a poor mix. Crayfish may not be great at predating on healthy lively fish during the day, but normally those healthy tankmates start to disappear, one at a time, every night. They are also really tough on live plants.

Crayfish are interesting, underappreciated aquarium specimens; much better suited to species tanks than to communities. Even when kept only with each other, they have a tendency to pick each other off by attacking their buddies whenever one of them moults and is vulnerable.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
Ok, I decided to put the crayfish in my 10 gallon with the demasoni cichlid. They are fighting a bit at first, but the crayfish is defending himself well. However, a question came to my mind: Will the demasoni kill the crayfish when he is molting?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, it sounds like he is trying to kill it now; what do you suppose he will do when the crayfish is soft, vulnerable and defenceless?

Putting two incompatible critters in a situation where they are never more than twenty inches apart really isn't a viable long-term plan.

Picture locking yourself into a studio apartment with a bear...

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Crayfish won’t last long with the demansoni.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store