What to do with crayfish?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Why not just put the cray in the bucket with an airstone it will do just fine compared to what two tank options it had-

Reactions: GolemGolem

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I had a crayfish for a grew years in a community tank and there's only 2 outcomes. Either the cray will eat your fish one by one at night when they are slow and low- i woke up several times to find mine with a fresh catch picking it apart. Or your fish will eat the cray when he molts. Best to give him a cave too small for the fish to get in so he can hide when his she'll hardens.
Also mine was very dirty, heavy bioload compared to a fish.
I even bought a plastic hamster cage and put him in it in the tank so he wouldn't eat my fish. I added tubes and lookout towers and he loved it,crawled everywhere in it. But made feeding and cleaning difficult. Best bet is to get him his own little biocube or 3 gal countertop home.

• Haha
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I wish i still has pictures of him in his hamster lookout, they were awesome. Actually he was a she, we found out after a couple years when she carried a cluster of eggs. It was a "blue lobster" but some version of cray I'm sure, never got past about 5 inches

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not relevant to the crawdad, but demasoni do best in social colonies of their own kind,
As you've found out, they tend to become hyper aggressive if kept as single individuals or pairs.
I kept a colony of about 20 in a 55 gal tank that was non-aggressive and the blue shoal looked great.
There were 3 or 4 generations together copasetically.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store