What to feed 3 foot koi fish.

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
So today I rescued 3 large koi (30 to 36 inches) and around 30 large goldfish (7 to 13 inches) from a pond that was drying up and has had no filtration for months. The pond water was black and you couldnt see anything. We were practically just scooping nets around in the water until we caught a fish. The fish hadn't been fed in months. The owners of the pond recently moved into the house, not knowing how big the fish in the pond were. We we're expecting 17 inch koi, but instead got a 36 inch common koi and two 32 to 36 inch butterfly koi.(the water was so dirty we couldn't tell if we got all the koi, but we know there are more goldfish and probably large koi still in the pond so we are going back tommorow to get them) I currently have moved them into my pond and am planning on feeding them store bought pellets. Any other feeding ideas? I know that feeding fish of this size store bought pellets will get expensive, as they will go through a 5lb bag in less than a week. Any suggestions on alternate foods for the koi will be greatly appreciated.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
So today I rescued 3 large koi (30 to 36 inches) and around 30 large goldfish (7 to 13 inches) from a pond that was drying up and has had no filtration for months. The pond water was black and you couldnt see anything. We were practically just scooping nets around in the water until we caught a fish. The fish hadn't been fed in months. The owners of the pond recently moved into the house, not knowing how big the fish in the pond were. We we're expecting 17 inch koi, but instead got a 36 inch common koi and two 32 to 36 inch butterfly koi.(the water was so dirty we couldn't tell if we got all the koi, but we know there are more goldfish and probably large koi still in the pond so we are going back tommorow to get them) I currently have moved them into my pond and am planning on feeding them store bought pellets. Any other feeding ideas? I know that feeding fish of this size store bought pellets will get expensive, as they will go through a 5lb bag in less than a week. Any suggestions on alternate foods for the koi will be greatly appreciated.
Go to a koi feed shop there’s like 55lb bag for 20-30 bucks I think don’t quote me ask kendragon kendragon

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
My largest is right at 38inches. I feed a wide variety of foods but she loves steamed rice. I have a friend in Japan who has one of those ponds that comes into the house from outside. They just feed their koi all the family's food scraps (lots of steamed veggies and fish). Their largest was a little over 40inches and very healthy. But if you live in America i wouldn't recommend chuckin cheese burgers and fries at 'em lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used "catfish and panfish" chow from farm type feed stores (very inexpensive) for fish like koi that are omnivorous, detritivorores and don't require constant high protein. It worked well for mine.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have used "catfish and panfish" chow from farm type feed stores (very inexpensive) for fish like koi that are omnivorous, detritivorores and don't require constant high protein. It worked well for mine.
I hate the purina one tho.

Get a couple kiddy pools and place in full sun, grow aquatic plants such as elodea and pond weed, whenever you clean a filter or do a waterchanges put the water in these kiddy pools, you can also raise scuds in these, all of which are enjoyed by goldfish and koi.

Starting a worm farm is also fairly easy.

Last edited:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store