What to feed my Irwini & Niger?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
It has been several months now since I got them. Always feed em pellets, nothing else. But seems like they start to refuse to eat em in large quantity like they used to. If I were given the same food for months, I would refuse too I guess. And their growth has dwindle over time, should be 1' a month for both species but more like 0.5 a month (seems like no growth at all). Need something new. The question is, what else can I feed my armored cats?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It has been several months now since I got them. Always feed em pellets, nothing else. But seems like they start to refuse to eat em in large quantity like they used to.
*****This may not mean much or may indicate water quality problems. Fish appetite waxes and wanes but niger, irwini, and granulosus are most usually bottomless pits.

If I were given the same food for months, I would refuse too I guess.
*****Using anthropomorphism in understanding fish is completely useless and easily can result in harmful actions, IMHO.

And their growth has dwindle over time, should be 1" a month for both species but more like 0.5 a month (seems like no growth at all).
*****Fish usually grow by spurts.

Need something new. The question is, what else can I feed my armored cats?
*****They will take anything that lies on the bottom sooner than later. All mine like pellets and out of the three named species irwini likes fish the most. I'd check my water thoroughly (which, IIRC, will not be easy for you as you don't use a liquid test kit) first and foremost. If the water was found good and the pellets you offer were a good all-inclusive nutrition, then I'd not necessarily change anything.

Reactions: tlindsey

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My fussy irwini pretty much only eats Hikari sinking cichlid gold. My granulosus eats the Hikari, algae wafers and shrimp.

Reactions: tlindsey

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
For the first month or two I don't think my Niger even moved. After being in my tank for 3-4months. He is the tank vaccum. Eats any pellets that hits the bottom of the tank poop included. Never once had a problem with it eatting tank mates or starving.

Reactions: moe214

Conman627

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Atlanta area
My niger loves algae tabs, vacuums them up wholesale. He also loves cocktail shrimp, small sized, peeled. They eat crustaceans in the mud in the wild so it makes sense.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
It's done. I change his tank. Currently he is in the piraiba tank. Give him massivore, he eats well now. Try shrimp, scallop & mussel, won't touch it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store