What to put in a piranha's tank

shmeva_riles_7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Swift Current Sk
I just bought a 55 gallon and was wondering what would look nice and suit the piranha. The store that i bought the piranha from didn't even have gravel or a ornament in the tank. I am also wondering what kind of fish would go good with the piranha. (that he won't eat)

C00K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
New York
You might want to check the post above this entitled "Piranha Tank?," has some information that might interest you.

Mellor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
West Yorkshire, UK
Depends what type of Piranha it is.

If it of the Pygocentrus genus like Red bellies then it can be mixed with others of the same genus. Cariba, Piraya and Ternetzi. There can still be terrirtorial issues though.

Serrasalmus species have had very limited success "shoaling" Geryi being the most successful. Not recommended.

Plecs have tough exteriors and are often kept with P's successfully but at the end of the day eventually whatever fish goes in will be lunch.

paOol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2005
Fish Land
what if the red bellies are introduced to a tank with tiger barbs when both fish are still young. the red bellies would be around 1' inch and would be well fed.

mitch4ya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
Auburn, Nebraska
I purchased my Jack Dempsey and a Red Devil (both semi-mature 2-3 y/o) at my local fish store which were housed in a 125 gallon tank with a few large oscars and several piranha's. I don't know if that is necessarily advisable but my jack and red devil seemed to be in fine shape and no worse for the wear while sharing their living space with the piranha's. Good luck!! :eek:

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
mine eat everything, but for some reason they let 2 bluegills live for months and months i still have 2 very small bluegills in the tank with them (4rbp 7") (bluegill 1"/2") stock 55gal

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Tiger barbs will make great snacks, I have had fish like plecos that were larger than the Ps last for months then get eaten overnight, it is best not to put any other fish with them unless they are expendable, For decor I like a dark natural looking fine gravel, a few large rocks, driftwood and plants, with crinkled green gilt giftwrap paper as a backdrop.

shmeva_riles_7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Swift Current Sk
Thanks good thing i have you guys or i would be screwed!!!

paOol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2005
Fish Land
guppy said:
Tiger barbs will make great snacks.

darn, i was afraid of that. i like my tiger barbs too. i think i'll keep them together until i start losing barbs, then i'll salvage them into a smaller tank.

how do the pleco's get eaten? i poked mine with a chopstick once and they are very hard. o_O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store