What to use to catch large mouth bass?

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
fishtex;3320168; said:
Be sure to use light tackle - shallow water bass are usually very skittish, 6 lb line max and finesse soft plastics in watermelon seed color is what i would go with. Yamamoto worms and some zoom worms are excellent.
depends how big they are,.............. 6 lb test won't bring in a lunker. the experienced bass fisher could do it but not someone who doesn't fish a lot. the trick would be getting the drag right and be patient, let the fish tire.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
It is really shallow I was using a rubber sunfish and a rubber tadpole and I was pulling up weeds :(
I caught a 16"er on a hotdog LOL but that's it so far
Also anyone have tips on catching carp?

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
shiners or worms. i dont use artificial baits or lures, only the good stuff :D

oh and for carp, use oatmeal balls. search for recipes online, theyre supposed to work well

toolbox31

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
New York
Yeah all good advice. Its hard to give a complete method without knowing all the details of the pond. Evening and morning when its light but the sun isn't hitting the water is by far the best. They'll hit at noon, just not as much. Overcast days are better then sunny days. My favorite setup is a medium spinning rod and reel with 6lb or 8lb fluorocarbon line. Top water is effective and by far my favorite. If there is no surface weeds I like to use a zara puppy, a small jerk bait and you use a walk the dog retrieve. If there are weeds I like to use a weedless rubber frog bait like strike king's grass frog. There's a debate weather to set the hook right when the fish hits or on a slight delay.

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
sorry for derail - but seriously - you gonna tell someone that they can't do something ((that i've already done)) ?? dont get that at all buddy - only way to get experience is to get out there and do it. Oh and here in Texas we have a lot of clear water, so i often associate shallow water with clear water. And in my experience lighter line often helps out tons in clear/ or shallow water. -
devder - -i usually have good luck on just plain old bread for carp - just ball it up real tight on a trouble hook. Gotta have plenty of Patience- as for the bass, just keep trying, you'll get'em and it'll be worth the effort. Just check the album if you need some references.

bigfishrcool1193

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
devder1;3322997; said:
It is really shallow I was using a rubber sunfish and a rubber tadpole and I was pulling up weeds :(
I caught a 16"er on a hotdog LOL but that's it so far
Also anyone have tips on catching carp?
man i love chicago...

when my cousin took me fishing in the windy city (well outskirts) we used bobbers and minnows:screwy: but hey it caught me a 18" large mouth...

up north in AZ my dad was using a huge hook with a piece of chicken hot dog and he caught three 30"+ carp... i think the biggest was 37" if i remember correctly...

also up north with my dad we would use weights and nightcrawlers (going for catfish) and i caught a 14" bass and two 7" bass... it was so weird fishing in that lake, you would think your going for catfish, but you never knew what was at the end of your line...:D

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
TheKrow;3322471; said:
:eek: 60 lb braid, JEBUS! Wtf were you fishing for a chevy truck?

I'm fishing for whatever I can catch. And it won't get away.

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
I'm fishing for whatever I can catch. And it won't get away.
That's sporting..... cough cough - sarcasm - cough cough

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store