what type of sand?

Magenta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2006
Ontario,Canada
I was wondering, how do you clean the sand in the tank? When you vacuum gravel it falls out of the siphon, wouldn't sand be too light and go out the hose?

Rmillertx778

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Magenta;501575; said:
I was wondering, how do you clean the sand in the tank? When you vacuum gravel it falls out of the siphon, wouldn't sand be too light and go out the hose?
yes sand will get sucked up a siphon so you have to be more careful but sand is also packed tighter and thus the junk you want to vacum out usualy stays on top of the sand.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
About $6-$8 for 50lbs bag.

Hhmmm, spa store. Hadn't thought of that one...Touche'

I used a power head with a larger version of a gravel cleaner mounted to it (adjusted flow so the sand lifted half way up tube) to vacuum the the sand completely once a month (to help prevent anaerobic bacteria from forming in sand, I keep that for my filters), with surface cleaning once a week.

Dr Joe

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
Sand is a mix of two types of particals, generally referred to as platy and angular.
Platy particles tend to be rounder and are more prevelant in sands that have been "worked" ie tumbled long enough to knock the rough edges off. Where do you find it? At your local beach is probably the best place.
Angular particles are rougher and have sharper edges. They tend to be less soluble and are more prevalent in quarried sand. Masons and brick layers are familiar with bank sand (more platy materials) and sharp sand (more angular). The right mix of these sands is important when making mortars and concrete.

In aquariums the sharpness of the sand has a direct impact on how densely compact the substrate layer will become and how dificult it will be to clean. Your better off to use either a clean bank sand or beach sand mixed with a fine crushed coral to ensure good microbe populations and water quality.
If the rays get sore tummys then maybe someone can knit a little sweater for them?:ROFL:

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Potts050;503234; said:
If the rays get sore tummys then maybe someone can knit a little sweater for them?:ROFL:
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

I am so glad you found MFK. Great info too, thanks.

LA213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Los Angeles
CHOMPERS;501032; said:
Sure...there are many types of localized sand such as the black sands of Hawaii. That is composed of ground lava. Interesting stuff actually. There are also the singing sands of New Jersey and the hard packing sand that made racing possible on Daytona Beach.

The point was missed (probably due to my sarcasm). Stingrays live in the Silicone based sands that are present in every ocean. It does not bother them. Florida is composed of mostly sand in its entirety. The fresh water rays here do not get all scratched up either.

The first post in this thread is nearly verbatim of a sarcastic reply long ago. The only problem is that many people do not think critically and will repeat anything. Now the sarcastic post is being repeated like it is good advice.
so you're telling me that stingrays would be absolutely fine, and would thrive in tanks with pool filter sand that contains silica as sbustrate? cause this was the only reason holding me back from adding a ray into my tank...cause i just heard that it would irritate their bellies..please reply or feedbacks would be great..negative or positive..thanks in advnaced

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Simply put, pool filter sand is large grained and round too. You will love the stuff and your rays will too.
Good luck,
Ron

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store