What type of severum is this?

jnms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
London
Ok guys - thanks for all the info! So it would seem I got something a little special then.

I'm going to spend some more time looking into the whole heros species. :)

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Morning Lads.

Im a bit of a severum nut (anyone who knows me from Oddballexpress.net should know that ;-) ) and im not bad at my regional ID's either.

The fish isn't notatus first of all. The last bar bleeds into the anal fin, which is a dead give away (combined with the fact the colours are way off ;-) )

The fish you've got (If hes wild in the first place, which is, honesly unlikely (Otherwise he'd be in my tank ;-) ) is most likely desended from fish caught around the town Manause.

Their characterised by well spaced facial markings, a uniform covering of red dots, and that creamy colour when their in a good mood.

Heres my big boy a few years ago (wild caught, from the same area).

In reality, its probably wrong to call "Manause", but certainly central brazilian.

For comparison, heres my Male notatus (there are no others in the UK as far as im aware. (Certainly none publiclly shown on forums))

And heres my Male Tapajos (just to rule that one out)

Hope this is some help my lad.

I'd be inclined to think you fish is tank bred by the way. (most sevs in the hobby are either from belem stock (Eastern) or Manause (Central)) Its not uncommon for tank bred fish to closely remember their wild counterparts due to the very nature of the way we breed fish in the hobby(heavily interbred)

All the best
Craggy

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
I have seen a few of these before, I don't know the name but what do I know is when he gets better the colours will be amazing.
Nice and I hope his life gets better from here on! Post more pics when he colours up I would love to see them

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
craig_uk;3634272; said:
Morning Lads.

Im a bit of a severum nut (anyone who knows me from Oddballexpress.net should know that ;-) ) and im not bad at my regional ID's either.

The fish isn't notatus first of all. The last bar bleeds into the anal fin, which is a dead give away (combined with the fact the colours are way off ;-) )

The fish you've got (If hes wild in the first place, which is, honesly unlikely (Otherwise he'd be in my tank ;-) ) is most likely desended from fish caught around the town Manause.

Their characterised by well spaced facial markings, a uniform covering of red dots, and that creamy colour when their in a good mood.

In reality, its probably wrong to call "Manause", but certainly central brazilian.

For comparison, heres my Male notatus (there are no others in the UK as far as im aware. (Certainly none publiclly shown on forums))

I'd be inclined to think you fish is tank bred by the way. (most sevs in the hobby are either from belem stock (Eastern) or Manause (Central)) Its not uncommon for tank bred fish to closely remember their wild counterparts due to the very nature of the way we breed fish in the hobby(heavily interbred)

All the best
Craggy
Good info Craig. I'm not sure how it works across the pond, but we get random wild caught ones all the time in the US. Generally the wholesellers and collectors just list them as wild severums so it's pretty much a wild guess as to what you get and were it is from. Just recently a fairly large group of wild notatus showed up. I asked the seller how they got them and they said that they just ordered wild severums and that is what they got. If the OP was in the states I would say it is very likely to be wild caught.

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
craig_uk;3634272; said:
Morning Lads.

All the best
Craggy
This dude knows his stuff!

nospeed411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2009
Central PA
WOW....Beautiful fish...can I have him? :D:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com