What type of tank?

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hi Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics ,
An acrylic tank is going to be a lighter tank with a good view but may get scratches. It's also is quite exspensive. Glass will be cheaper but much heavier. If you go the plywood route it would be even cheaper, but you really have to know what you are doing. I guess it all boils down to your budget and what you like best and if you are willing to learn to build a tank. By the way I would raise the heighth to at least 24" for a tank that size. Just my 2 cents. GL

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm a fan of plywood, basically because I'm cheap, but also because a properly-constructed plywood tank will never have a catastrophic failure, i.e. dump hundreds of gallons of water on the floor in a short time. There are tons of threads here and elsewhere with construction tips, and anybody with ten fingers should be able to build a tank exactly the size/shape they want if they can follow instructions and work carefully. The hardest part is dressing it up and making it look pretty; I don't bother anymore, because my tanks are in my unfinished basement, but a tank can be finished to look good with any decor if you do it right.

Glass...I had one catastrophic failure with a commercially built tank, many years ago, and I haven't bothered with large glass tanks since then. I'm even less impressed today, since makers seem to be using much thinner glass than they once did. 6-foot 100 and 125 gallon tanks were made a few decades ago with no need for a center top brace because of the glass thickness, and experienced no problems. Today practically everything needs a brace to prevent the wafer-thin glass in use from bowing. Making your own is possible but takes some skill.

No experience with acrylic, not in love with the idea of easy scratching, but if I found the right deal on one I'd probably try it. They're held together with solvent cement, which should mean that they are essentially fused into a single piece...so why do we read about seam failures? I guess you get what you pay for, like almost anything else, so I would want an established maker with a good reputation if I went this route.

I agree with Cich Mind Cich Mind that a depth of at least 24 inches would be a good idea. If you go plywood, bear in mind that standard sheet sizes are 4x8 feet, so if you built the size you mentioned there would be a lot of waste. When I build a plywood tank I want the biggest I can get into the space allotted and like to use the whole sheets of wood; I usually just have a few small scraps of plywood left after a build. Refer back to "I'm cheap"...:)

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks Cich Mind Cich Mind and jjohnwm jjohnwm . I don’t really want to go over 200 gallons so I think I could maybe push it to 18” tall. It will house either a solo Asian aro or some sort of channa maybe pleuros or meruloides. Since this will be my only tank then I will have good filtration and more than adequate we schedule

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store