what type

BigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2005
Washington
i want to know what types of piranha should i look at getting for an 80 gallon tank and how many of them should i get.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
there way over rated and non owner responsive. Go with cichlids. other wise i hope someone who has better exsperience with them can help ya

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
10-20 super red bellies

i agree with wckedmidas 110%

Neo Baron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
yea at first when i got my p's i thought it was going to be a blood bath but it turned out that they were the most timid fish i have and they still are to this day. go w/ cichlids or a shortnose gar they are very intresting but have big appitites.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have kept reds that were agressive but you got to condition in a feeding response and except for feeding time they tend tobe a bit boring. You also have to overcrowd them while they are small and just expect to lose quite afew to predation as they grow. If you don't want the agression they are ok and pretty forgiving of living conditions.

joc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
I would agree with everyone,,I have 5 p's right now 3 red's and 2 piraya and I am getting rid of them and getting an ATF tomorrow :hearts: I have been very disappointed in the fish at least the pygo species,,if you are dead set on a shoal,,get caribe's if you can find them in stock anywhere,,they are far more aggressive and not near as shy and skiddish as red bellies are.Piraya are a little more bold but still not the fish I expected to get.the snake head I had years ago is by far the most aggressive fish I have ever owned.Anyone here live near chattanooga i will give you 5 pirahna.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Agree totally, if you are looking for agression go elsewhere, If you want cheap and agressive try your local sunfish, blue spots are small,3" breeders, and meaner than hell.

smoke187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
If this is your first time keeping Piranha's i'd go for some red bellies as they are easy to keep and look after. About 4-6 should be ok for a 80 gallon but you will need to upgrade to something bigger as they grow.. however they are far to sketish in my opinion and will no doubt pee you off as they have done to me lol..

Best of luck with whatever you choose man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store