What would be a good top level fish?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Would burmese clouded archer fish work??? Dont think they get too big and would be an interesting addition???

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Would burmese clouded archer fish work??? Dont think they get too big and would be an interesting addition???
That would be a great addition but I can’t source them nowadays

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yeah, if you want a top level fish the chalceus is certainly top level. It is very rare for mine to venture any lower than the top 7-8" of water. He just lurks at the surface waiting for worms, he goes crazy for worms. I got mine at 3-4" and 18 months later he'd maxed out at a thick 10". Stunning fish, very very mild mannered, dosen't cause any aggro in my com tank at all. Only keep one though as they will fight.

The only downside in my experience is that they can be very skittish and will occasionally go bananas if spooked resulting in suicide attempts to jump. So i'd recommend a good lid. Also they don't really do much, other than lurk in the top layer of water waiting for food to drop in. But they make up for lack of activity with their beauty. I love mine and fortunately they're quite a long lived fish so he should be with me for years to come yet.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
There's a species called Anableps anableps from Suriname. Seen few enter the market. Cool fish & weird looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store