What would be your ultimate sump

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have a 270 gallon tank (6×3×2 l×h×w).
What would be your ultimate sump design for this size of filter.
My thought is to make a moving bed filter with a 1x2x3 area for custom filter socks and a 6"x2x3 return section, sump sections will be divided by matala mat. This will be a overhead style sump because it is 1 foot taller then the pool it will be filtering.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The ultimate sump for me is one that does what it's meant to do in an efficient manner and needs mininal maintainance. Mine is just s basic three section, mechanical, bio and pump. In my opinion you don't need all the whistles and bells.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For overhead filtration I like fractionating bio-towers.
I used a scaled down plan from koiphen.com called Phoam Phractionation.
Using a normal pond sponge unit in the tank or pond, pumping a strong flow over a thick pipe with lava rock for bio, as water cascades over the rock, the agitation separates the undesirable parts into foam which fall into a bucket (or the ground).
Maintenance is hosing out the sponge prefilter, and occasionally hosing out the lava rock filled tube if it gets gunked up (outside leaves and debris were common

The above, a pool for Tilapines (Coptodon zillii), which was moved inside in winter.

I use the same on a koi pond (@500 gallons) in the video below.
koi pond fractionation
When inside, they are a little less apt to get clogged with debris.

SingAlongWithTsing

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Inland Empire
For overhead filtration I like fractionating bio-towers.
I used a scaled down plan from koiphen.com called Phoam Phractionation.
Using a normal pond sponge unit in the tank or pond, pumping a strong flow over a thick pipe with lava rock for bio, as water cascades over the rock, the agitation separates the undesirable parts into foam which fall into a bucket (or the ground).
Maintenance is hosing out the sponge prefilter, and occasionally hosing out the lava rock filled tube if it gets gunked up (outside leaves and debris were common

The above, a pool for Tilapines (Coptodon zillii), which was moved inside in winter.

I use the same on a koi pond (@500 gallons) in the video below.
koi pond fractionation
When inside, they are a little less apt to get clogged with debris.
is this the version that doesn't need an air pump to work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store