What's in the box? It's polys!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Love it !!!! Now resist the urge to over stock it and concentrate on your future beasties. That moke looks totally comfortable!
View attachment 1259743
The look of pure happiness. Someone is having so much fun swimming around and playing in the plants.
View attachment 1259744
Need to figure out smaller pieces so she doesn't hurt her jaw. Her head is the size of a pencil eraser.
View attachment 1259745
View attachment 1259747 View attachment 1259749 View attachment 1259746
This porker hahaha. Gold is coming in real nice on the tail. Can't tell from the pic though.
View attachment 1259748
Full tank shot.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Your test shows one type of ammonia like kno4te kno4te said, Prime binds ammonia all kinds and nitrite ...meaning that yes it "sticks" to it making it "safe" for fish and "pulling it" out of suspension in the water, so it shows up on tests where normally it wouldn't. That's part of how Prime works to help make the water safe for the fish. I am not a chemist so I don't know all the fancy terms or all the road maps of how it happens either. But it is supposed to trap the ammonia and nitrite to make it harmless for fish but it still keeps it available to your bb. Not exactly sure as to why that makes it show on tests more readily or in a greater abundance then is actually in the water, it may not even be more then is there it may just screw with one of the chemicals in the test. The Prime tech line didn't give me any real scientific reasoning. That makes me think its the reason people say don't use prime with "xxxx" product it doesn't work while they are actually working just fine together but tests are thrown off by it.
1) thank you for taking the time to type all of this out :)
2) thank you for putting it in a language I can understand. "Prime binds ammonia all kinds and nitrite ...meaning that yes it "sticks" to it making it "safe" for fish and "pulling it" out of suspension in the water, so it shows up on tests where normally it wouldn't. "

3) that's interesting about it giving false positives. Doesn't seem to derail the product popularity though. At least from what I've seen!

Reactions: kno4te

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
1) thank you for taking the time to type all of this out :)
2) thank you for putting it in a language I can understand. "Prime binds ammonia all kinds and nitrite ...meaning that yes it "sticks" to it making it "safe" for fish and "pulling it" out of suspension in the water, so it shows up on tests where normally it wouldn't. "

3) that's interesting about it giving false positives. Doesn't seem to derail the product popularity though. At least from what I've seen!
kno4te kno4te and twentyleagues twentyleagues can confirm but i think it only binds them for 48 hrs

Reactions: twentyleagues

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
This is what mfk is all about - sharing what we learn from other members. When i got back into the hobby i went through all the same stuff your going through. I still feel i have sooo much more to learn and one day you'll be helping someone else.

Imo the members that are open about their issues/failures are the ones that truly give a crap. I always post about my mistakes or stupid questions because someone may stumble on the thread and find it helpful no room for ego's in my book lol
Thanks, Frank! You are the best. Really appreciate the words of encouragement and your endless patience. Still gotta go back and reread over the older messages that you, kno4te kno4te , and magpie magpie posted so I know how to cycle the tank next time. Really appreciate you and the rest of the gang paying it forward and helping me out!

There's always more to learn. You have a great attitude about it, especially as a seasoned member. 100% agree about people posting their issues. You can tell who really gives a crap. And you definitely do! Posting all the "mistakes" and situations helps the experts and the newer people too! POLY SECTION UNITE!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks, Frank! You are the best. Really appreciate the words of encouragement and your endless patience. Still gotta go back and reread over the older messages that you, kno4te kno4te , and magpie magpie posted so I know how to cycle the tank next time. Really appreciate you and the rest of the gang paying it forward and helping me out!

There's always more to learn. You have a great attitude about it, especially as a seasoned member. 100% agree about people posting their issues. You can tell who really gives a crap. And you definitely do! Posting all the "mistakes" and situations helps the experts and the newer people too! POLY SECTION UNITE!
Hahah u rock hommie and im no seasoned member lol i just wanna keep the things in the glass box alive for as long as possible. I used tp bookmark allot of the threads i found helpful so it was easy to go back and re read when necessary. When u have time and nothing to do read @RD stickies they are chuck full of stuff that flies right over my head haha but educational none the less. This is probably the best advice im ever gonna give u...... hang out in the set up amd filtration section. Read threads ask questions, browse through the stickies. That stuff should be mandatory reading.

Reactions: clm08k and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
kno4te kno4te and twentyleagues twentyleagues can confirm but i think it only binds them for 48 hrs
Up to 48hrs but can be less than that.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Props to you clm08k clm08k . You took the advice and did it. The way we told you. Not many do it and get it right and learn from it.

No need to thank me. The process and result is thanks enough. Plus the others on the forum did way more.

Don't forget what J jaws7777 mentioned. Go thru the forum and see what the OG's (old guys/girls) post and you'll always come away with something new. When they post I take notes! MFK has the best to offer if you look hard enough.

Enjoy the fish.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hahah u rock hommie and im no seasoned member lol i just wanna keep the things in the glass box alive for as long as possible. I used tp bookmark allot of the threads i found helpful so it was easy to go back and re read when necessary. When u have time and nothing to do read @RD stickies they are chuck full of stuff that flies right over my head haha but educational none the less. This is probably the best advice im ever gonna give u...... hang out in the set up amd filtration section. Read threads ask questions, browse through the stickies. That stuff should be mandatory reading.
yes, I do enjoy RD posts. He knows so much! Oh I was looking at the general aquaria section, but then got bored with some of the topics. Will check out that instead. I think I was supposed to go to the filtration and setup last time. I also really liked listening to the posts that your other MFK posted back when I was considering the 125g. Do they post in the setup and filtration section frequently?

nitrates are at 20ppm, all other levels are 0. woooo! Can I do a water change, even though I added the safe start 2 days ago?
Props to you clm08k clm08k . You took the advice and did it. The way we told you. Not many do it and get it right and learn from it.

No need to thank me. The process and result is thanks enough. Plus the others on the forum did way more.

Don't forget what J jaws7777 mentioned. Go thru the forum and see what the OG's (old guys/girls) post and you'll always come away with something new. When they post I take notes! MFK has the best to offer if you look hard enough.

Enjoy the fish.
thank you! I'm very greatful for your advice and patience with my fish situations. I just want to learn how to keep them happy and healthy. And that's exactly how you keep your fish, so of course I'm gonna listen. Even if it takes me a while to get things rolling exactly.

I'm just so happy they got out of the ich phase. The moke still has the white dots on her eyes, but I am hoping it will clear up by being in the new tank. It is day 2 or 3. Her color in general looks a lot better, but the dots are still on her eyes. When is a good time to re-evaluate? and try something else besides clean water?

will definitely check out the filtration and setup section...and look more into the OG keeper threads. I'm sure more of my questions could be answered there too. Nevertheless, appreciate you answering them too. It always shows someone cares if they help out a friend in need. In the future, I'll try to do more research and still post my questions. :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
yes, I do enjoy RD posts. He knows so much! Oh I was looking at the general aquaria section, but then got bored with some of the topics. Will check out that instead. I think I was supposed to go to the filtration and setup last time. I also really liked listening to the posts that your other MFK posted back when I was considering the 125g. Do they post in the setup and filtration section frequently?

nitrates are at 20ppm, all other levels are 0. woooo! Can I do a water change, even though I added the safe start 2 days ago?

thank you! I'm very greatful for your advice and patience with my fish situations. I just want to learn how to keep them happy and healthy. And that's exactly how you keep your fish, so of course I'm gonna listen. Even if it takes me a while to get things rolling exactly.

I'm just so happy they got out of the ich phase. The moke still has the white dots on her eyes, but I am hoping it will clear up by being in the new tank. It is day 2 or 3. Her color in general looks a lot better, but the dots are still on her eyes. When is a good time to re-evaluate? and try something else besides clean water?

will definitely check out the filtration and setup section...and look more into the OG keeper threads. I'm sure more of my questions could be answered there too. Nevertheless, appreciate you answering them too. It always shows someone cares if they help out a friend in need. In the future, I'll try to do more research and still post my questions. :)
Yup that section is great and the regulars love explaining stuff.

I would wait a couple more days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store