Whats more efficient?

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
In my house I have many fish tanks :) . Sadly fish tanks take energy to run and energy costs money (obviously). So whats more cost and energy efficient, a single 125 gallon, or one 55g, one 50g, one 40g, and one 35g? I'm either gonna shut down all except the future 125, or shut down all but the 55, 40 and 50. Which combo or solo tank will be the least to run?

The only reason I ask this is because I am 15... and Dad gets kinda angry when I want another fish, or fish tank. Some of the tanks are not mine, lol im not that into fish ;).

BTW, I'm not sure if this is in the correct location for this post, so if it's not, could a mod please move it.

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I'd put all your fish into one tank, sell the others, then use the money from selling those to put towards your new 125! He'd love to see the initiative! And one tank is just sooo much easier to maintain than 4 or 5. I go back and forth, I'll have 2 up, then I'll have 4, then 2 and then 5, it changes all the time. Lucky for me, my wife doesn't say much about it, she lets me have my hobby.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Well I talked to Ma and Pop about it, and they think that its a good idea :) we also will probably be keeping Mom's 50 which is good also. I showed them this thread and it helped convince them. I just need to seal the deal now lol. Keep the good posts coming :)

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Seems like you have some pretty open minded parents! When I was your age, it would have taken weeks to talk my parents into this kind of stuff! Don't ever stop when you're on a heater! Push for a 210!

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Seems like you have some pretty open minded parents! When I was your age, it would have taken weeks to talk my parents into this kind of stuff! Don't ever stop when you're on a heater! Push for a 210!
well, idk about that lmao! I think a 150 would be good too. And my dad agrees as long as it saves him money.... lol typical dads i guess.

and to jsodwi... I don't think my house has enough space for that lmao...

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
If you get a 125G, be sure to keep a smaller tank for quarantine/isolation etc. and a sponge filter (or some other method) of instant transferrable BB for that. An xtra tank eventually saves fish and money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store