What's the biggest plywood aquarium?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Egon and a member named nolapete were working on builds in the 4000+ gallon range several years back, but I don't recall either ever being finished.
Ohio Fish Rescue has something in the 3000 gallon range that's plywood. Rich (VLDesign) built the 2700 gallon several years back (which was just recently taken down), I would generally regard that as the best plywood build that's been done so far.

I have spoken with Rich on multiple occasions about that tank, and it lasted from I believe 2012 until 2019 when it was dismantled - no leaks or anything, homeowners just didn't want the tank anymore.
That thing was so overbuilt, there was pretty much no way it would've failed. It was up against two concrete basement walls, and bolted straight onto a concrete floor. The walls were stacked, interlocking 2x4s, and 4x4 posts for the windows. Epoxied, fiberglassed, and pretty much bulletproof as far as a plywood build goes.

After talking things over with him, we came to the conclusion that you could build a massive tank using that design. Maybe upping to 2x6 or 2x8s even, depending on the size, but the stacked design is extremely durable. At some point though, concrete becomes cheaper (and much less work, and likely much stronger) than the wood design. Would be interesting to see where that point actually is.

Reactions: Matteus

BigFishBigAppetite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2016
Egon and a member named nolapete were working on builds in the 4000+ gallon range several years back, but I don't recall either ever being finished.
Ohio Fish Rescue has something in the 3000 gallon range that's plywood. Rich (VLDesign) built the 2700 gallon several years back (which was just recently taken down), I would generally regard that as the best plywood build that's been done so far.

I have spoken with Rich on multiple occasions about that tank, and it lasted from I believe 2012 until 2019 when it was dismantled - no leaks or anything, homeowners just didn't want the tank anymore.
That thing was so overbuilt, there was pretty much no way it would've failed. It was up against two concrete basement walls, and bolted straight onto a concrete floor. The walls were stacked, interlocking 2x4s, and 4x4 posts for the windows. Epoxied, fiberglassed, and pretty much bulletproof as far as a plywood build goes.

After talking things over with him, we came to the conclusion that you could build a massive tank using that design. Maybe upping to 2x6 or 2x8s even, depending on the size, but the stacked design is extremely durable. At some point though, concrete becomes cheaper (and much less work, and likely much stronger) than the wood design. Would be interesting to see where that point actually is.
yea i thought about using 2x6” for sure now since I may decide to do the tank as a 12’ x12’ x6’. it’s pretty much going to take up half my basement but the wife and I are okay with that. looks like with the water it should weigh around 42,000lb-ish so i may need to do some research on how much a concrete house foundation can withstand over time. I don’t have much experience with concrete but want the tank to be able to be disassembled if we decide to move in the later future. the concrete me be more of a pain to take down. Thoughts on that? In the end i’ll probably go with what media gives me the strongest tank either plywood with that massive box frame in the earlier pic i posted or the concrete

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
yea i thought about using 2x6” for sure now since I may decide to do the tank as a 12’ x12’ x6’. it’s pretty much going to take up half my basement but the wife and I are okay with that. looks like with the water it should weigh around 42,000lb-ish so i may need to do some research on how much a concrete house foundation can withstand over time. I don’t have much experience with concrete but want the tank to be able to be disassembled if we decide to move in the later future. the concrete me be more of a pain to take down. Thoughts on that? In the end i’ll probably go with what media gives me the strongest tank either plywood with that massive box frame in the earlier pic i posted or the concrete
Maybe if I get some free time I'll play around with some numbers and see which is actually stronger, but I'm willing to bet concrete is stronger overall, IF it's reinforced properly. But stacked 2x6's should come pretty close - the main takeaway is that you're not going to break either of them.

You'll need to know the thickness of the concrete slab to determine what it can hold.

When you say disassembled, do you mean to be rebuilt or just to take down? If you just mean taking it down, the wood should be a lot easier than the concrete. You're not going to be able to rebuild either though, at least not from the same materials. You could salvage the viewing windows, but that'd be it.

On that note - you may want to build one side to a max of 10 feet. Acrylic panels over 10 feet get stupid expensive, because they're pretty much all custom sizes.
Also, that 6 foot height is going to be a beast. You'll need 2" on that for sure. A 12x6x2" panel is going to be very, very expensive.

Reactions: BigFishBigAppetite

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm not a tank builder so can't comment in that regard (looks like you're rocking it so far though) -- my only humble suggestion is to take that Mary Poppins basket off your Mongoose lol -- that's just about blasphemy :) Joking aside good luck with the build!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Read this from cover to cover (or start to end, I guess). Pay attention to everything he says - he explains just about everything in perfect detail.

Also - 1" plywood is pretty thick, and expensive. 1/2" will be just fine. Double it up if you really want to.

Edit: if you're unclear on anything in that PDF I linked, let me know and I'll try to explain it because chances are I've discussed it with Rich. If not, I will gladly PM you his email address to get in touch with him.

BigFishBigAppetite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2016
I'm not a tank builder so can't comment in that regard (looks like you're rocking it so far though) -- my only humble suggestion is to take that Mary Poppins basket off your Mongoose lol -- that's just about blasphemy :) Joking aside good luck with the build!
haha yea that picture isn’t of my build yet it’s just one i found that will resemble the interlocking 4x4 frame that i want to build ?

Reactions: islandguy11

BigFishBigAppetite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2016
Read this from cover to cover (or start to end, I guess). Pay attention to everything he says - he explains just about everything in perfect detail.

Also - 1" plywood is pretty thick, and expensive. 1/2" will be just fine. Double it up if you really want to.

Edit: if you're unclear on anything in that PDF I linked, let me know and I'll try to explain it because chances are I've discussed it with Rich. If not, I will gladly PM you his email address to get in touch with him.
Thanks oompa loompa let me check that out and i’ll get back to you with some questions! thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store