What's the deal in Australia with Asian Arowana?

StewiesFish

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2019
So I've visited a few store's in NSW that had silver and Asian Arowana. Whats the legality? I know the silvers are from America so I'm guessing that's not an issue but when I asked about the albino Asian aro the store had I was told it was imported/smuggled in. Is this the only way to obtain an Asian aro in aus, smuggling it in? Are they still an illegal fish to own in 2019? Cheers in advanced to anyone that responds.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I thought the ozzy folk were all about the jardini? Should be an easy find over there
Well OP is asking specifically about Asian Arowana, not Jardini (and I'm pretty sure not all Aussies are all about Jardini and maybe would like something different :)

StewiesFish, I'm no expert on Australian fish & game laws -- my simple understanding is that any Asia Aros already in the country when they passed the law were grandfathered in, but importation of any new Asian Aros was prohibited. I haven't heard of any changes to the law, however if I were you I'd do some more google research and go to the specific government pages to get a more conclusive answer than most anyone here could give you. Plz update us with anything you can confirm.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So I've visited a few store's in NSW that had silver and Asian Arowana. Whats the legality? I know the silvers are from America so I'm guessing that's not an issue but when I asked about the albino Asian aro the store had I was told it was imported/smuggled in. Is this the only way to obtain an Asian aro in aus, smuggling it in? Are they still an illegal fish to own in 2019? Cheers in advanced to anyone that responds.
They are still illegal in 2019 in the USA. I dont know about Australia. I dont know if this helps but just did a 10 sec google search.
Appears if it is imported properly like canada you could own one.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Actually Australia isn't the same as Canada twentyleagues bro, that article has it wrong when it talks about a permit. According to this site, http://www.environment.gov.au/syste...-e0bfa7ccaf0d/files/importing-exotic-fish.pdf
"....Asian arowana cannot be brought into Australian under any circumstances ."

Also Scleropages formosus (Asian Arowana) is not listed on the List of Specimens Taken to be Suitable for Live Import:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019C00665, which was last updated on 22/8/19.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee eng and RD.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I was wanting to own one a few years back (even the price will set me back a few $ks) I had to call local fisheries on my state (QLD) to enquire about this and they're answer is a BIG NO even with a certificate or not. The grandfather rule may be hard to prove.

I would personally stay away from it and just look at other permitted fish to avoid the hassle.

Reactions: Matteus and RD.

StewiesFish

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2019
Cheers for all the info, looks like ill be sticking with my leichardti's which I do really enjoy keeping was just looking for something a little more exotic.

thuynh3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2011
LA, CA, 90012
I don't know about the laws in Australia. In USA, all asian arowana are illegal, only silver arowana and jardini are legal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store