When can I stop using prime?

Rmywife316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2019
Hello all,

I’ve finished with the cycle on my 125 gallon tank. My parameters measure 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. I’m doing two 50% water changes a week to keep the nitrates in check. I’m still dosing prime every other day at this point. When am I able to stop this and only use during water changes?

Thanks

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I dont like using prime at all to be honest. Its good if you cant remove the chlorine another way. When I was on city water I used a 3 stage filter to clean up the chlorine. Prime binds ammonia and nitrite which I think imo it hinders the biological processes. I know it says it doesnt but ive set up enough tanks to see a difference in cycling a prime tank and one without.

Rmywife316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2019
Thanks for the replies everyone! I’ll stop using it!

What’s everyone’s opinion on safe nitrates?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
What was your intent with using prime in the first place?

Most of us use it only as our dechlorinator or it can be used to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrite in the case of a cycle issue.

I use both Seachem prime and the granular form safe to dechlorinate my tap water. I can use very light dosages due to the relatively light amount of chlorine in my tap water.

I like these products because one bottle or jar goes a loooong way. Much more concentrated than any other off the shelf dechlor. I've never had prime or safe effect my beneficial bacteria or the cycling process at all.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Thanks for the replies everyone! I’ll stop using it!

What’s everyone’s opinion on safe nitrates?

All the scientific studies (except for the fake ones) find nitrate is very non-toxic.

20-40 ppm isn't even remotely close to being toxic and Prime doesn't detoxify nitrate anyway.

Reactions: Rmywife316

Rmywife316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2019
What was your intent with using prime in the first place?

Most of us use it only as our dechlorinator or it can be used to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrite in the case of a cycle issue.

I use both Seachem prime and the granular form safe to dechlorinate my tap water. I can use very light dosages due to the relatively light amount of chlorine in my tap water.

I like these products because one bottle or jar goes a loooong way. Much more concentrated than any other off the shelf dechlor. I've never had prime or safe effect my beneficial bacteria or the cycling process at all.
I had an accidental fish in cycle. I originally cycled my tank using ammonia with no fish. At the end of the process my filter leaked and soaked the crappy particle board stand. I had to tear the whole thing down and drain the tank for a week while building a new stand. I left water in the filter so I assumed the bacteria would be okay but they mostly died during the week of no water flow. I didn’t know they were affected until after I’d added fish and realized the ammonia was building fast! That’s where prime came in.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store