When can I stop using prime?

Rmywife316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2019
All the scientific studies (except for the fake ones) find nitrate is very non-toxic.

20-40 ppm isn't even remotely close to being toxic and Prime doesn't detoxify nitrate anyway.
This is what I needed! Thank you!! I’ve read many many different things but I figured I’d ask the people who’ve been through it.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Wouldn't we also have to ensure that ammonia and nitrite are also at natural level?
Was speaking towards nitrate specifically.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
All the scientific studies (except for the fake ones) find nitrate is very non-toxic.

20-40 ppm isn't even remotely close to being toxic and Prime doesn't detoxify nitrate anyway.
Says otherwise on the front of the bottle?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Was speaking towards nitrate specifically.
Why just nitrate? Ammonia and nitrite are more toxic. If you want everything to be natural that means ammonia and nitrite have to be in the ppb range and we need to take water to a lab that can test at those levels.

Also, fish would need to be stocked at the same levels as in nature. That's probably millions of gallons of water per fish.

Says otherwise on the front of the bottle?
They can print anything they want on the bottle.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Why just nitrate? Ammonia and nitrite are more toxic. If you want everything to be natural that means ammonia and nitrite have to be in the ppb range and we need to take water to a lab that can test at those levels."

Because they asked specifically about nitrate and nothing else, the rest is off topic information.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Because they asked specifically about nitrate and nothing else, the rest is off topic information.

I only bring up ammonia, nitrite, and stocking levels to point out the flawed logic behind attempting to keep nitrate levels at natural levels.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
I only bring up ammonia, nitrite, and stocking levels to point out the flawed logic behind attempting to keep nitrate levels at natural levels.
As I stated before. Its a goal in my opinion, if your species is found at X level then X level is probably a great goal.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
As I stated before. Its a goal in my opinion, if your species is found at X level then X level is probably a great goal.

Then that should apply to ammonia, nitrite, and gallons per fish too.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019

Rmywife316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2019
Has anyone had any good results with Seachem purigen? I saw a YouTube video and the guy swears by it (not that the guy on YouTube know all)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store